Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gravity Hot water pumped system

unless it's repiped. Besides the reversed connections, the return is so much smaller that it may not be enough to handle the needed flow.

This is one of many reasons my company does not do this type of conversion, and will not work on a system someone else has converted.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Roger Redmond
    Roger Redmond Member Posts: 5
    Gravity Hot water pumped system

When my system was converted from a gravity fed steam system to a gravity fed hot water sytem the supply and return was reversed for whatever reason. I assume the insulated 2 inch pipe was the original supply and the uninsulated 1 inch pipe was the return. The the connections are now reversed. Each radiator do have a thermostatic steam trap. The flow travels towards the steam traps first to enter the radiator. Is this why I am not heating properly because the flow is not correct? Also I have manual bleeds on every radiator and all have no air coming out just water.
  • STEVEN MARKS
    STEVEN MARKS Member Posts: 154
    conversion?

I
  • Roger Redmond

If I reverse the flow back to the original supply and return, do I have to also remove the steam traps at the end of the radiators? The original supply pipe is much larger that the original returns. Should I also relocate the circulators on the supply side of the boilers?

Thanks
  • Roger Redmond

Any suggestions?

• First thing I'd try is removing the steam trap on an affected rad. As long as the supply branches eventually lead to the supply connection of the boiler, it really doesn't matter (although as Steamhead said, the 1" may be undersized depending on the flow through the system).
This discussion has been closed.