Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

drop header before equalizer

Diar
Diar Member Posts: 50
Just to confirm - If the risers come up 24" above the water line, then the drop header can drop back down to a few inches above the water line before being attached to the system supply?

Thanks,
Diar

Comments

• Diar

Hi All,

Given that my new boiler is going to be installed on my current boiler's block, which is a little too high to join to the existing header piping, it is being recommended that the steam pipe coming directly out of the boiler be configured with a drop header, even though the drop header isn't 24" above the minimum water line of the boiler. The rational for this placement of the drop header is that it will allow for piping to the existing large header pipes, instead of moving the boiler / breaking up the existing block. To get the idea of the configuration, the drop header would actually be placed to the top left side of the boiler, belowadjacent to the top of the boiler.

Is this type of configuration of a drop header problematic? I'm a little concerned that a drop header so close to the boiler's water line might not perform well.

Thanks,
    Diar
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Drop headers

The header height will not matter as long as the risers coming out of the boiler extend to the magic 24" mark above the water line.

The drop header is exactly what you need and it will work great.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Diar

Any vital factors to consider with a drop header beyond the 24" riser requirement?

Thanks,
    Diar
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    YES!

Try and have the contractor use only teflon tape on all the joints, or at least alcahol based dope.

Using oil-based pipe dope will leach into the water/boiler and cause priming and surging when hot.

Other than that, the dropped header is the best solution for a less than 24" dimensional restriction.
This discussion has been closed.