Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ultra Install

Forgot - this is new, well insulated(foam) 2x6 construction in Boston area.

If that matters.

Comments

• Ultra Install - First one

Thanks for the help thus far. So we are in motion, Ultra 155 going in this week or next.

Any points my P&H guy needs to know? I through out primary secondary pping and he mumbled something about it coming out of the box with something(he said he has installed about 100 W-M golds with the pump under the covers - if that is a frame of referecne)

We are runnning 2 air handlers and around 6 zones of raidant for floor warming, with viega climate panel above subfllor directly under tiles. This is for floor warming only.

Frm what I looked at, it looks like you have a primary zone with a pump, then take your heat zones off the primary with pumps of thier own.

The DHW looks like it can go in series directly off the primary - not sure I get why.

For control a call on the zone also turns on primary. With a normal priority driven relay, dhw would still be priority.

exapnion tank would still be at point of no pressure change, i.e. sompleace on the return side of the secondary circuits.

I'll be watching and suggesting, it's his deal.

But so far I talked him down from the ultra 310 to the 155 based on your guys knowledge.

He admitted that the total house load is 110k plus 22k for the garage floor - and I did not ask if he was calculating the garage to be 70 degrees.

So to sum it up, I wish he had done at least one other ultra, but hopefully you will give me anything I really need to watch out for.

And, I want to say the contractor tries to do a great job and wants to do it right - I have no doubt he will try and do a first rate job - I am just worrried about the stuff he doesn't know he doesn't know.....

Thanks.
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Find a Pro

Find a heating pro. instead of someone who wont even look in the Ultras' installation manual.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Installed lots of Ultras

Dhw goes independent of the injection line.

If you have alot of radiant you can set up the air handlers to think you are calling in DHW with a relay then program the Ultra for low temp on the radiant end.

Do you have DHW on the system, fan speeds can be changed so the boiler runs full force "ultra 310" for DHW but reduced for heating. the reverse can also be done.

Mitch S.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ted, Thanks

But this guy has been with the GC for 10 years. His work looks good, he just is not up on the latest and greatest.

Sometimes you need to work with what you have.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Remind him

Having seen an issue just recently, I would let him know that the supply and return from the boiler cannot hold alot of weight to speak of. This is not a cast iron boiler. As to the domestic, I would pipe it as the Ultra call's for, if nothing else, pull the heating zone's off the top and the DHW off the bottom of the boiler. As to him not having done any, as long as he read's the installation manual, that should not be a big issue. We all have to start somewhere...
  • Xc8p2dC_2
    Xc8p2dC_2 Member Posts: 150
    connections

There were some posts earlier in the year or late last, about the manifold fittings cracking into the bottom piping, not sure if W-M rectified or you change the nuts first, Clarifications?
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    If thats you think

Then let the guy install the old standard boiler he's use too. Sometimes you need to work with what you have !

I agree with Ted, find someone who understands the unit or don't bother. Why go for high end if he dos'nt know how to install it ?

Scott

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Sounds like

you will require different temperature zones? If so primary secondary is almost a must.

hot rod

• Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Knowledge is power

You know what I do before I sell or install a product? I learn as much as I can about the product. If it’s a piece of heating equipment, I take the time out of my busy schedule to go to training so that my customers have a qualified installer.

If someone won’t take the time to go to training, what makes you think they'll take the time to install your equipment properly or fix it and repair it when needed?

Scotts right, if you like this guy, let him install what he knows best. Or send him here for some education.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    The guys are right.................................

Otherwise, you'll have to pay guys like us lots of $$$ to correct things later. Mad Dog

• Thanks for the words of wisdom

The tips you guys gave were helpful - thanks.

I am going to go for it. I will read the directions and see how it goes.

This guy has done viesmans mod con so this can't be that different, right?
This discussion has been closed.