Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Stove

Does that still aply to propane?

Parental control and commom sense, it still exits but failing fast for most people.

Don in Mo, father to 8 kids and love gas cooktops.

Comments

• don_156
    don_156 Member Posts: 87
    Gas Stove

Please forgive me if I'm not up to date with gas cooking stove.
    So heres my question.What type of safety do they have if and when a kid turn the knob a quarter of a turn with out the spark being energize?

And do you feel its a poor design to have to wait to smell gas before you know theres a problem.

What if the kid happen to turn it a quarter just before everyone walk out the door to go to work,school,daycare?

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    You Know the Answer

Don,

You know the answer to that question...

Do you have any ideas, other than electrified fences around the kitchen?
  • don_182
    don_182 Member Posts: 69
    How about

A child proof control knob.One like they use on all med bottles.

• Brad White_126
    Brad White_126 Member Posts: 12
    Most have a

Push and Turn feature. Never stopped a child. No substitute for adult supervision :) Or as Dr. Silberstein said, an electric fence.

Some sharks are circling on this issue, I can just feel it.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    I Can Hear Them

Da Dum...................Da Dum.............Da dum...........Da dum........Da dum.....da dum....da dum..da dum..da dum.. (JAWS)
  • Very simple . . . .

make sure there is a gas shut off behind the stove and leave it shut off when you are not using the stove. The new spark ignition stoves do not have a pilot so you do not have to worry about relighting a pilot.

Other than that put the fear of God in the child about what might happen if they touch the stove.

In the end it will take a long time for enough gas to build up even if the top burner (typically 10,000 to 12,000 BTUS) is left on. It takes a mix at the the lower explosive level of 4.5% gas to air ratio before ignition takes place. It will smell like a lot of gas but it is pretty difficult to get that much gas accumulation in an open area.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    As Always, Tim

Tim,

Thanks, as always.

By the way Tim, can you e-mail me that thermocouple brochure again? I seem to have misplaced it.

Thanks.
  • Eugene

my computer is down I am using my wifes for now. So I cannot access the file with that in it.

If you give me a postal mailing address I will drop it in the mail to you.
  • don_182
    don_182 Member Posts: 69
    Eight!!

Well my hats off to you Don.I've got three myself and I love
    each and everyone of them but,anymore then that I'm not sure I would've been able to keep it together.

Thanks Timmie for the info.That helps when customer/myself
    always picture once one smell gas to run like mike for cover
    because, the house is going to blow.
    I mean shoot we're program to think that, after all, that what we see on tv.

And yes, what about LP?
  • LP being heavier than air

with a specific gravity of 1.52 as compared to natural gas at .6 will tend to accumulate in low areas and takes longer to disappate. Its lower explosive limit around 2.16% as compared to air is more easlily reached. However it still is a 10,000 to 12,000 BTU burner so it could take sometime to reach that level, hopefully someone will smell it before that. A practice my wife has had for years before leaving the house check the oven to make sure it is off and the top burners are off after use. When we had the little ones around and now grandkids the shut off behind the stove is the rule.
This discussion has been closed.