Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uponor thermal acuators, anyone? (Starch)

Options
and not a single problem or failure to date

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=98&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    I'm putting together

.....a job where I will need 12 manifold actuators. In the past, we have used the motorized valve actuator (#A3020522). I have seen a minor number of field failures, but nothing to get excited about.

I see they now have a "thermal" actuator (#A3010522) available which draws about 1/2 the current of the motorized actuator, and is less expensive, to boot.

Has anyone used these, and are there any known problems?

Thanks,

Starch
  • Tim_34
    Tim_34 Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Actuators

Starch

I have used many of the Wirsbo thermal actuators and haven't had any problms with them.

They also look cooler than the MVA's.

-Paul
  • John Starcher_4
    Options
    Great!

That's what I needed to hear, guys! Thank you for the feedback.

Oh, and Paul, I agree - they look WAY cooler!

Starch
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Actuators

Are they the "helmet head" actuators? I've installed hundreds (Roth, but they're the same thing) with almost no problems. We replaced every Honeywell motorized zone valve we could with that type. Roth, Safelink, Danfoss, and others use this actuator with slightly different adapter rings. The indicators are nice.

-Andrew
  • Tim_34
    Tim_34 Member Posts: 56
    Options
    ISH

Hey Starch

There's plenty of time left.

Tell me you and Murph are going to drive straight through to Chicago this weekend and I'll buy you both dinner.

• Are these "new"? my old employer used to use them and stopped because of massive failure rates (5+ years ago).
  • ALH_4
    Options
    Not new

You had problems with them? My old employer used them (Roth version) also, but we had very few problems. Are these the ones?

-Andrew

• Nope, those aren't the ones (though those are what we use now). Wirsbo's old thermal actuators... actually, come to think of it their old mechanical actuators also had lots of problems. And on second thought it was more like 7-8+ years ago. I imagine they must have updated the line by now.
  • ALH_4
    Options
    Time

hehe Maybe we are all talking about different things.

I'm not that familiar with the Wirsbo line. Weren't the old motorized actuators like a Sparco Power Track? The thermal actuators you're talking about were a little before my time.

Personally, at this point I would just ditch it all and go Caleffi for brass parts. ;-)

-Andrew

• Yes, they were, and I think the thermal ones were sparco made as well.

Everyone's drinking the Caleffi Kool-Aid these days, huh? :D
  • ALH_4
    Options
    I like cherry

I am really impressed with their products as well as the people. When I, and other people, kept asking for 1 1/4" dP valves, they brought some over from Italy. They're very responsive and they deliver quickly. It's true, the people make or break a company. They must, since I'm still talking about them and I no longer have any affiliation.

-Andrew
  • John Starcher_4
    Options
    I wish I could, Paul......

....but I have entirely too much going on right now. Been working crazy hours, and I've got about three more weeks of the same to go. After that, life should get back to being closer to "normal" (whatever that is!).

I'm very sorry I can't be there. It would be great to see you and the other wallies again. One of these days, Alice!!
This discussion has been closed.