Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Too much expansion/vibration?

Options
shows a situation where an array of pumps is tightly connected to a plate HX and a boiler. (The grayed-out stuff is old work to be removed.) I'm wondering if pump vibration and/or thermal expansion is likely to damage the HX.

Details:
A frame wall (at left) butts into a bedrock wall (background) at right angles. A plate HX is secured to the frame wall by a weldment (not shown). The U-shaped weldment supports the HX at the bottom and sides; the HX is held in the weldment by a web strap. Three pumps will be arrayed side by side (middle pump shown). Pumps will be supported at top and bottom piping by a weldment (not shown) bolted to bedrock. The left two pumps connect to the air seperator (see tee and ell); the right two pumps connect directly to the boiler return via a close ell-and-tee arrangement similar to the one above. The ruler at bottom right represents the left edge of the boiler. The entire arrangement is rather rigid, except that the 26-lb HX can move a tad left-right.

Am I in trouble here? If so, what fix would you recommend? I have no space left-to-right but can work out from the rock wall or down.

Are there approved flexible connections (hose?) which can be used to isolate vibration?

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    there are isolation flex couplings used for expansion buh...

you do not want to hang all that stuff off the HX it all should be supported..pipe it to something that is secured to some unistrut.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    As long as

you support the weight of the pumps and piping you will be fine. Don't hang off the HX connection without additional support.

Really no reason to have a vibration issue.

Unless you get a ball of solder lodged in the circ impeller :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Bill Clark
    Bill Clark Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks, guyz.

I bolted a heavy frame to the rock wall to which supports can be welded/bolted.
  • Brad White_125
    Brad White_125 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Yeah...

If that vibrates, Bill, we got bigger problems~!

Post a follow-up photo maybe?

Brad
This discussion has been closed.