Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Re-Controlling

Plumdog_2
Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
Have a Two-Stage Primary-Secondary setup with Tekmar 4-way mixer for radiant and several fan-coils and two spa heat exchangers and DHW. The smoke has been let out of the 1999 354 Tekmar mixing control, and the 252 two-stage boiler and DHW control is leaking badly. The original installer didn't quite grasp the wiring aspects and has a wallboard covered with transformers and relays. I would like to skin it back to the pump cicuits and stat wires and put in something modular and clean. The boilers are Burnham cast-iron. What do you guys recommend to integrate this stuff?

Comments

• ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    How About

How about a Viessmann Dekamatik HK-1 Universal with a Tekmar 2-stage boiler control?

-Andrew
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873

I'd like to re-do the whole boiler room if I could; It's not that old really, but definitely "yestertech". This home is 12,000 square feet; foreclosure property. Asset management company wants it saleable, without investing more cash. It begs to be re-done with mod-con.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    wiring

The old control strategy seems sound. I would replicate it, only with a bit more finesse than it sounds like the installing tech used. Most cost effectively, a 362 and a 262 would probably fit the bill. It would amount to replacing the original controls with the newer digital display counterparts. There was nothing different about what the original controls did, but your expertise will make all the difference. There is nothing worse than opening an electrical box to find a pile of wires and cube relays.

-Andrew
This discussion has been closed.