Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

removing a section of hot water baseboard

Options
If this is a monoflow system yes you need to repipe in basement to keep proper flow through that pipe,and as brad said if its a loop system and you cap the two ends I hope your a real beleiver in Ghost Flow.

Comments

• Bob_78
    Bob_78 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    removing a section of hot water baseboard

I have a section of baseboard I would like to remove for a new door. Can I simply remove the baseboard and cap the pipes, or should i complete the loop in the basement by simply connecting with copper where the baseboard was. Also do I have to bleed the system afterwards to remove any air that may get into the pipes. I appreciate any input you can give me on this.
    Bob
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    You cannot cap

for that will terminate flow right there.

I would secure some matching end caps from the same manufacturer if available or cobble something together. Drop the piping below the floor using a "baseboard tee" also known as a 3/4" x 1/8" x 3/4" cast copper tee. It really is a 3/4" cast copper elbow with a 1/8" FPT tapping in the heel for a coin vent. Use one on each side, vent and forget. A drain valve at the base of the drop in the basement below is a nice touch.

Purging (massive flowing of water at high velocity to carry out the air) is fine but most folks do not have the valves nor the patience.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    a somewhat easy fix is...

to drop the pipes to the floor go get a saw and a sawzall cut out the plywood floor deck whack down a 3/8"cut in the top of the floor joist. make up the short hop to the next termination on the other side of the door opening put some nail plates down cover with a 4" wide strif from riser to riser screw and glue pl 200 or building adhesive .. put the carpet back down over the thin strip...no one will ever notice the 1/4" underlayment by the door threshold.

you can bleed off the air via bthe existing baseboard "T"'s.
This discussion has been closed.