Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Check valves

ralman
ralman Member Posts: 231
I have been reading some of the recent posts about circulators with internal flow check valves. I currently have a separate check valve, Taco model #222 flochek, mounted in the 1.5" supply pipe. Do the circulators with internal flow check valves eliminate the need for a separate flow check valve? If so, what are the pro's and con's of removing my Taco #222 and adding the circulator with an IFC?

Comments

• Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    flow checks

Yes the internal flow checks do eliminate the need for a separate flow check and you could do as you suggest. the only problem we've experienced with the IFC pumps is debris getting into the check valve. If you have an older system or are installing a new one. a strainer in the line ahead of the pumps may eliminate some nuisance calls.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I have found that without checks on the return as well, I had ghosting (when using separate circulators). I use the 15-48 IFC Grundfus on the supply, and a spring check on the return so I can mount them vertically.

Tim

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704

The IFC pumps will save you money when buying the pump, and eliminate the need for an external flow check. Additionally, you will net more flow because of the elimination of the pressure drop through the external flow check..
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Steve L.
    Steve L. Member Posts: 35

You don't need seperate Flow checks with the internal checks in circs. But I personaly do not use them. They depend on springs. And like another poster said, they can stick when dirty. For my money and time a seperate "old fashioned" flow check is the way to go. Plus, if Taco or whomever decides (realizes?) it is a bad design and stops making them. You will have to do a bit of repiping down the road to replace it.
    I bet I'm not the only one who has cursed the original circ flanges with built in stops. You know the ones that leak and don't have any way you can tighten the packing on them.
This discussion has been closed.