Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Control Replacement Blues''''''''''

I think the "ah shucks, I'm a nice guy" factor is a big one in this business. Also there's the thing about not valuing ourselves, and not expecting anyone else to either.

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Head Hunters (customers)

Recently received a call from an acquaintance with a furnace control malfunction. After listening to the problem that he was observing, I said it could be 1 of 3 things and gave a "Ball Park price". Since I am not there to diagnose the problem I can't be sure. Today, he called and stated that he has another HVAC friend that would repair for the cost of parts only......MAN!!!!!!! I hate that!!!!!! Can someone tell me why people do this??? Just like the dentist, I should charge him for not giving a 24 hour notice since I rearranged my schedule for his benefit!

Mike T.
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

I think the "ah shucks, I'm a nice guy" factor is a big one in this business. Also there's the thing about not valuing ourselves, and not expecting anyone else to either.
  • carol_3

• carol_3

I have a delay in my computer tonight. That's why I hit the button three times (and sent my reply three times). Don't know how to make that go away . . .
  • Empire_2
    Carol:...................

Point well taken 4X over...;-) I know you didn't mean to do that...;-)

Mike T.
  • the VC

aka valued customer. when dealing with people like that you are better off when they go to some one else. It just doesn't seem so at the time. ps carol i am new to the wall and wanted to pick up a good trouble shooting guide for hvac controls could you recomend one? thanks; mike
  • K.Devine
    K.Devine Member Posts: 1
    Honeywell Transformer Question?

I have an Old 1963 Thatcher Furnance Co Gas Boiler "PG" Series. Over the years I have replaced many parts, but the boiler and gas burners still work great and look new.

However, this year the Old Honeywell Transformer is giving me a problem. I looked up the part number on honeywell old parts list to no avail. The Transformer has the following stamped on it.

AT30C 1005 1
    O.C. 25V 20VA
    120V 50-60CY

I was wondering can I replace this part with a 40VA Output Transformer such as Honeywell ATD72D 1683 or do I need to buy a 20VA Transformer.
  • carol_3

Of course I'm biased, but I'd recommend my very own book Quick & Basic Troubleshooting. It makes troubleshooting so simple. You can find it in the book section of this website, or you can order it directly from me.
  • carol_3

You can use a 40 VA transformer in place of a 20 VA. The VA rating is about capabity. It's like you could use just 20 oz of a 40 oz carton of . . . whatever.
  • Empire_2
    One more thing

The new T-former will come with a 4x4 plate, but you have to ask for it.. They are very inexpensive.

Mike T.
  • carol_3

And another one-more-thing--It's probably not needed for this job, but there's a transformer with a fuse built in so you can reset it after shorting it out instead of replacing it. It's the AT150F. I think of it as "F" for "forgiveness." It is quite inexpensive.
This discussion has been closed.