Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kaowool Blanket for Firebox

Options
to stick it to the sides of the chamber use water glass.you can get at sid harveys or re michels. if your going to use two layers use 1/2 " and water glass between them and then cure it,...David

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=386&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• fatty
    fatty Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Kaowool Wet Blanket for Firebox

I'm replacing the liner of the firebox in a forced air oil furnace. The old liner was about 2" of refractory cement, formed in place. Should I use 2" of layers of Kaowool to replace this? If so, do I need to "fire cure" each layer before applying the next? Should I use something like Ceracoat to glue one layer to the next?

Thanks in Advance!

Steve
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    A Wild Guess..

.....if you have a furnace with a brick chamber ......You are way over due for a complete new unit.Whats the name of the Furnace ? Thatcher?

Now to answer your question ...What we use to do four score ago..... Best way was rebuilding with ceramic brick ,Boston Machine brick chamber was The best..Second best was making them out of soft split brick and retort cement. The old timers when I first started use to brake glass bottles in the chambers for a ceramic finish.I think it was a excuse to get rid of the empty beer bottles.Which was common practice back then.. I

Then from the Apollo missions of the 60's ...We started using cerofelt prefab round or tub chambers.
    .. LAST and worst ...was lining the old chamber with a wet pack blanket Which will fall down if not tucked in at the edges. This was I felt , was a band aid..Or if no other way to put in a prefab

Now,today with all the un spoken hazards.....Buy a new unit.

P.S. need to candle all chambers at first fire and start of every season... Why you say? What happens to water when it turns to steam ?
  • fatty
    Options
    Kaowool Wet Blanket for Firebox

Yes, I will replace the furnace in 2 years, but I need to make it (hopefully!) last until then. The firebox is just iron which is lined with 2" refractory cement. The cement has crumbled on one side and I'm replacing all of the lining. I was looking to find out if I need to match the thickness of the old lining. I certainly would use a prefab if I was able to find the right size and I was able to get in in. The furnace is a Paragon forced air unit and is about 55 years old. Everything is working OK, but the lining of the firebox worries me.

Steve
  • Big Ed
    Options
    Worries

Sorry... Its too old,it too late .Two extra years has past 10 times already..There are more worries in a antique furnace then you could see..

Times ripe for a new equitment anyway... With the rising cost of energy and raw materials everything will cost you more tommorow..

Good Luck ,God Bless

• fatty
    Options
    Worries

Sometimes the money is just not there. I was set to do it this year, but a new roof took care of the $$ I had for the furnace. Your advice is good though and I appreciate it.
  • fatty
    Options
    Make sure you form it in good!

I put one layer in today, using waterglass on the back of the Kaowool. I formed it tightly up against the walls and
    floor of the firebox. I thought I needed to cure the first layer first. The instructions with the Kaowool said to fire the furnace for 3 minutes on and then 3 minutes off for 15 minutes.
  • Big Ed
    Options
    I Understand

The income refund checks come in around Momorial Day and were are broke come Labor day.. I know.....I know....
This discussion has been closed.