Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A different way to cool

Options
We did similar, but I have an old chest freezer, same idea, insulated, and keeps it super cold. When we don't use the kegs, we fill the bottom 12" with ice and H2o, and plug er in 24 hrs in advace, add cans or bottles, and top with cold tap water, keeps em cold for days!!.

Comments

• PeterGriffin
    PeterGriffin Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Looky what I made...

Not the most efficient way to cool a space, but it worked!!

[img]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/BryanRankin/DSCF0379-1.jpg[/img]

and you might ask, for what is this chest for??

Beer of course!
    http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/BryanRankin/DSCF0382.jpg

58 2/3L of Nova Scotia's finest, Alexander Keith's
    58 2/3L of Coors Light..the girls wanted beer too :)

• PeterGriffin
    Options
    Looky what I made...

Not the most efficient way to cool a space, but it worked!!

58 2/3L of Nova Scotia's finest, Alexander Keith's and
    58 2/3L of Coors Light..the girls wanted beer too :)

Hope your Independence Day is as great as our Canada Day was. Over 50 people showed up, all "youngins"(I'm 20 myself) and a few of the older folks, no fights, nothing too dumb, just a rockin good time! I let it sit in ice overnight, Saturday morning we loaded it up again with ice, and by Saturday afternoon it was so very cold.

We're trying to come up with something a little more efficient next year, we spent $100~ on ice for that thing! What guys will do for cold beer eh?
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Of all the advice we give you on cooling....

THIS is what you do with it?? :)

Cannot think of a better application, myself!

Now, if you had invited Natalie MacMaster and she showed up, I would be really impressed!

We are looking forward to our Independence Day and take careful inventory of our fingers afterwards.

Good on you, Rankin- Thermodynamics in action.

Brad
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
    Options
    Ice

I wouldn't think ice was that expensive up there to go thru all that trouble. Nice box though. I'm sure it hasn't seen it's last keg. Happy belated Canada Day.

Brad, we celebrated long and hard at a family party on the 30th. Two hours straight fireworks display courtesy of the family pyro (me). I was at the brothers in northern Indiana. Fireworks are legal there but the cops still showed up twice. Once for concern for the nearby woods (hey, I'm a professional), and once for the not-so-legal aerial bombs (where did THOSE come from?)

Everybody have a safe and happy 4th.

Tombig

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    Wait a minute

Shouldn't we drink the beer warm in order to recognize the efforts of England in losing the war?

Just a thought.
  • PeterGriffin
    Options

!!! that is an incredible idea!

• PeterGriffin
    Options
    Fiddle Tunes are \"in\"

Hehe :) All those heat loss questions about housing and duplexed were just a clever diversion so I could make a sweet box!!

I never knew you were a fan of Natalie MacMaster, Mom and Dad grew up not too far from where she did. Have you ever heard of Howie MacDonald? If you like Natalie's stuff, you'd probably like him too.
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    Oh yeah!

After 24hrs the cubes and water are a frozen bloch about 12" thick.

I have a small 5 cu.ft unit that I top to the small "shelf" over the compressor.

Water get so cold that if you reach to the bottom for your fave bevrage, be prepared to have a frozen arm.

For parties, I put it on a small flatbed trailer, fill and freeze, then drive away.

Great at the pig roasts etc...
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    What guys will do for cold beer eh?

It's the Canadian way!! (that and a good Hockey game!!)

Love N.S.

Was stationed at Stad for 5 years in the late 80's..partying at the Misty Moon, the Palace, and going to see McGinty at the Lower Deck.

Still go that way a few times a year.

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Nice cooler

I have seen that and also an application where the keg was on the outside and a spiral of copper coil going through the ice. Worked well..

Mike T.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Everybody loves Natalie...

Anyone who can fiddle and dance at the same time has my vote... I will have to look up Howie MacD.. thanks for the tip! Cajun/Zydeco are my favorites but a good Celtic fiddle gets me on the dance floor easily.

Yes, a clever diversion, your cooling quest and I fell for it :) Now you have to ask some heating questions so you can build a sauna.... get cracking now!

Brad
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.