Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Refrigerant leaks

Options
Most leaks are at joints due to cracking and coils due to the thinner tubing used. Many coils have "rifled" tubing which is weaker still, all in the quest for higher efficiency... Add so-so workmanship on the part of some techs and there you have it. Most techs use a couple methods to find leaks, bubbles and detectors mainly... some like UV dyes but I'm not a fan of them... Experience is the best tool if you expect success in finding leaks.

Comments

• Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
    Options
    What's

the best method of locating these? I can easily understand leaks on a hydronic system from gaskets,packing nuts,air vents etc. But how in the $%& do systems with no threaded connections and only a few brazed joints seem to leak constantly?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    pressure controls

One of the biggest sources of leaks is the service valves you might have just taken your gages off of. Make sure all caps are tightly sealed. I just finished a job on 2 large Kramer ]freezers where both Cond. units had leaks in the bellows of the defrost pressure controls. A good leak detector will run about $500.00. Dont like the dyes, gets all over your guages and smells horrible. Pressure test with 150-200psig of nitrogen or use leak detector.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Leaks

ATP-Amprobe and others make an ultrasonic leak detector that the HVACR guys use. It operates by detecting the ultrasonic sounds from the leaking water or refrigerant. It works very well. It is a little pricey,but if you would use it enough, it is cost effective.
This discussion has been closed.