Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell R8182D1079 triple aquastat relay

The 3 dials on our Honeywell R8182D1079 triple aquastat relay were moved by my dad and his tinkering. Please help me, what should the hi, lo, and diff be set at. Can someone explain what they're funtions are so I can get everything back to where it was.
Thanks and Happy Holidays to all

Comments

• carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

High is the highest temp you want, low is the lowest. Differential is the number of degrees you'll let the temperature drop from setpoint before the boiler fires to bring the temp back up--usually 10, 15 or 25 degrees.
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    High limit

is usually 180 to 200 depending on boiler if house is well radiated I try 180 but some older boilers take 200 well and if lacking radiation 200 will be it usually. LL is 160 if you have a tankless coil for hot water and 120 if not. You need at least 20 degrees seperation between HL and LL and differential I usully try at 15 for a safty factor if you have a Tankless Coil for rhat water if no Tankless then wider will usually work better unless you have problems heating on the coldest day then you may have to narrow that down to 10 and HL at 200.
  • Ed Stearly
    Ed Stearly Member Posts: 6
    ok then

ok so i have the high set at 180, the lo at 160, and the diff at 5. The radiators only get warm it takes all day to get up to 70 from 68. i also noticed water leaking from the top of the expansion tank down the sides all dried up kind of green in color. a few weeks ago the rads (floorboards) would all get hot and crackle when the heat came on, now they don't. would a bad or leaking expansion tank cause the luke warm not hot rads and poor heating. hot water at the tap is fine. any ideas? just want to be sure what the issue is before i call someone in. thanks and happy Thanksgiving
  • brucewo1b
    Ed

What is the pressure on the boiler if you Feed valve is off or plugged and you lost water then I would suspect that its is a circulating issue but you could have a bad circulator or control that is not getting power the the circulator, these are only guess by not being there to see first hand.
  • Ed Stearly
    expansion tank

what problems would one have with an empty or leaking expansion tank, would it affect circulation, i'll check to see if the circulator and pump are working in the am. thanks for your help. presure gauge reads 30 on the boiler and maintans 180. thank you for your help.
  • brucewo1b
    If you are reading

30 then you need to either recharge the tank if its an steel tank on the cieling or replace it if its Extrol tank with a bladder in it. The Pressure gauge may be offf too so usually a pressure gauge hooked up to a bibcock adapter and screwed on a boiler drain will tell you if the boiler gauge is off or not working. Earlier point being that if you are not feeding water to the boiler and you lost water in the system you may have an air bound system that is not circulating water. An over pressurized boiler usually will not effect ciculation but no pressure can.
  • Ed Stearly
    its a bladder

the only gauge i have is on the boiler, that read 30 pounds and 180 deg, there is no gauge on the expansion tank. it has a bladder, would a bad tank prevent circulation, what is the purpose of the expasion tank ?
  • brucewo1b
    I would not suspect

a bad bladder tank as the culpret but it is the reason for the 30 PSI as water heats up it expands and needs a place to go, and air which is compressable is the medium used to than. when the blasdder goes it fills with water and no place for the expanding water to go. Rlief vavles are suppose to weep at 30 lbs and rlease it faster if it goes higher so don't be surprised if that happen
  • Ed Stearly
    water

so that is brobably where all the water came from I found on the basement floor? twice the floor was flooded and looked looked like it came from around the boiler somewhere. would this mean there is no water in the pipes to circulate, if there is nothing to circulate the pumps wont come on, replacing the bladder tank and refilling the lines and bleeding should put me back in opperation?
  • Ed Stearly
    what

what should the pressure be ? everything you said is making sense. leaky and emty compression tank, something there blew, the water drained out of the system...thats why all the water on the floor, low heat on the rads, nothing or little left in the system to circulate, no pressure, causing no circulation, poor performance. correct me if I'm wrong, and we can continue to chat. do you think my post above is a good place to start?
This discussion has been closed.