Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Pump explosion???

coooool. love to see mother nature work. of course when i saw the header for this post i fugured it was the customer who saw their heat pump explode in a cloud of smoke........you know, that smoke that comes out of the top around the same time that pesky defrost timer stops and it turns back into heating

Comments

• mike faust
    mike faust Member Posts: 58
    FAILED! refrigerant line

Has any one ever seen a lightning strike? We visited a new customer today who claimed his heat pump was struck by lightning. The 7/8 copper vapor line was pealed open about 1' back from the outdoor unit connection. It was between a coupling and an elbow. The break in the line was about 6" long and as clean as if sliced with a razor and pealed open. It also left a crater about the size of a sinder block in the mulch and soft dirt that lie undernieth. It is a r 410 system.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Yup

Lightning will do some wild things as it seeks the path of least resistance to ground. I saw a trench about 24" deep and probably 80-90' long where the voltage had come in on the phone line and literally blown it out of the ground. The phone ped was melted into a pile of molten metal out by the street,
This discussion has been closed.