Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What the heck was that!

Options
Getting tapped by 277..it wants to grab you, hold you tight!...just got zoinked myself on Monday working on landscape lighting.

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    What the heck was that!

Started ripping out a very old furnace,and ductwork.We came down to the the supply trunk stub,a canvas collar,an elbow and two straps supporting the ell. I'm standing on concrete,holding the ell while my co-worker removed ths slips and drives,then he cut one strap,then his ear touches the supply trunk stub and ZAP!!!MY right arm was touching the liquid line. The electricity went from the hot,live ,120vac,supply trunk into Francisco ear then into the sheetmetat elbow,then into my hands and out my elbow.Holy Moly!!!
  • Around here...

we call that a cheap buzz. ;)

I took a nice one like that once, from the 277V Flourescent light JACK CHAIN, through the galvanized fitting we were installing, in one arm, through my chest and out the other arm to the gas pipe I was hanging onto for balance at the top of the 10 footer. Managed not to fall. Yea, it hurt! For a couple DAYS! :(
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    With you

I'm laughing with you on that one,MFP!
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    277VAC

Yea, it really scares the crud out of you. I was working on some P-Tak's and was using a jumper and I forgot the power was still on. It zapped in front of my leather belt and put a hole in it about 3/8"....Didn't zap me though...Ifelt the heat, (go figure)...:-)

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.