Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heat anticipator settings

Options
I agree with Mike. Remove thermostat. Place an ammeter across R&W and mesure the current. Be sure to allow for the ignition sequence and blower timing. The highest reading will be the set point. Jumpering and using a jaws type ammeter can also be done. You may have to loop the jumper several times around the jaws. Divide the reading by the number of loops.

Comments

• clay_2
    clay_2 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    heat anticipator settings

I'm using an argo switching relay with the typical T87 YO-YO thermostat. The primary control rating on most of any Argo's products is 0.085 amps(thermostat current rating).Every thermostat I've been looking at the last 6 months the heat anticipator range is all the same (1.2 thru 0.1). Well 0.085 is off the bottom of the scale and my ON-OFF cycles are still to long. what can be done to decrease the cycle time. thank anyone for any suggestions ...happy holidays
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Clay,......

Even with the manufacturers specs. as to what it should be, The best and true way is to measure your current draw at the stat and set accordingly. Also what type of Heating equipment are you using? Air Water?.

Mike T.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Good point Ken

10 X around the clam on amp probe is the equivalent of dividing by 10 which will give you a . in your reading.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.:-)

Mike T.
  • Kevin Weaver
    Kevin Weaver Member Posts: 3
    Options
    heat ant.

Everything posted is good. Did you know you can take a single strand of thermostat wire, wrap it 10 times around your amp probe and have the two ends of this wire stripped back. set the thermostat low (not calling) and touch your wire to the two bottom lest screws. Wait until you hear the blower come on. Short cut is to have thermostat calling and furnace running, jump the two screws on the T87 and then turn stat down. If your current reading is truly .08 then add a second relay for added amprage. Oh and don't forget to divide your reading by 10
  • Mike  A
    Mike A Member Posts: 1
    Options

Thay make a meter just for that. Its made by UEI,model # MA1. It gos from 0 to 1.2 amps. Just remove thermostat and put alligator clips on R and W and meter reads amp draw,,its the best meter i bought and its around thirty dollars and worth every penny.I bought mine at the supply house..
  • Rich W
    Rich W Member Posts: 175
    Options

A 200 ohm 5watt resistor in parallel with the relay coil should bring you to around .2amps total. This will run around 2.9watts, you may want to use a 10watt resistor.
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397
    Options

thanks, all.
This discussion has been closed.