Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do new Burnham cast iron rads measure up?

Options
Subjective as the term is, they have value.

They are, IMHO, beautiful.

Can you get salvaged CI? Sure you can and the price from a knowing seller (who has to handle them, clean and test them then stand by them) may not be a whole lot less. Either way, you should be fine.

If I had my druthers and wanted a first class installation, I would go with the newer line of classic Burnham CI radiators and have them powder coated. American made too.

Comments

• D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options
    sad to see those old discarded ci rads on other thread....

but glad to see they still make them. Are they well made? Pricy? My basement zone is standard slantfin; other two zones 1924 CI rads. I'll either replace slanftin with CI baseboard or ci rads. any thoughts? I'd rather not go the steel panel rad route due to CI's longer holding of the heat.

Thanks,

David
  • D107
    Options
    thanks brad; yes aesthetically rads trump baseboard IMO;

I know people say baseboard is good since it doesn't occupy wallspace but it does occupy far more lower wall space and if you wanted to put up standing bookshelves, etc. you might have more space to do so with rads.

In terms of ease of conversion from standard slantfin, not sure what's easier. To install rads may require ripping out all the old slantfin, and re-sheetrocking the resulting lower wall space gaps.

Basic idea is that if all three zones are CI (total loss 40Kbtu), more chance for me to someday have a one circ system.

I gather that the Burnham CI rads are considered the best of their type around.

Thanks,

David

• how about those vertical runtals? man, I think those things are cool.
  • D107
    Options
    Thanks Rob; I would consider Runtals

if they had CI units since for basements I don't think the classic CI look is as essential.

Thanks,

David
This discussion has been closed.