Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

zone valve troubleshooting

If a low voltage system,and you have 24 VAC between 1& 2, the valve should open. You can tell by the resisance on the manual lever. When open, the switch betwen 2& 3 should be closed. Keep in mind that there can be up to 3 or 4 minutes until it opens.

Comments

• rich_40
    rich_40 Member Posts: 4
    zone valve troubleshooting

what is the correct way to troubleshoot zone valves, other than buying a new one. Is there an electrical test, ease of manual movement?
  • JackEnnisMartin
    JackEnnisMartin Member Posts: 70
    Zone vlaves

• JackEnnisMartin
    JackEnnisMartin Member Posts: 70
    Zone valves

Hello
    Try the following only if you are electrically safe
    Shut off the power and do an ohm reading on the windings. A reading of infinity on the meter tells you the windings are open { shot }. With the power on do an amperage reading with a multimeter if you are experienced in this or with a clamp on amperage meter.In the event the amperage reading for the valve is very small --- do the following make a coil of wire with ten circles. Do the amperage test and divide the result by ten to get the real amperage reading. If the amperage is really high the valve is siezed. Most small valves give the reading for power in watts. In that event do the formula E=I/R and find the amperage. Turn the power back on and test for electrical potential to a known ground, this will establish electrical power at the device. Borrow a mechanics stethascope and listen for water flowing -- no flow -- the plug and the shaft that turns it have become seperated. On most small zone valves there is a manual lever to open the valve for flow --- if the lever moves with no resistance or there is still no flow the plug and the shaft are not communicating. I could go on forever;but, if you are not experienced with electrical devices --PLEASE --- use one of the contractors on this website. Electrocution is forever especailly if you have a weak heart, be cautious.
    All the best for 2007
    Jack Ennis Martin
  • What is the make

of Zone Valve?
  • rich_40
    rich_40 Member Posts: 4
    taco 571

Hey thanks for the tips. My problem is I know just enough to get into trouble. Its the taco series 571. I usually use the taco or argo relay boards. I just can"t find any info on testing the zone valves, what's the possibility they come broken out of the box, slim to none.
This discussion has been closed.