Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Numbers

Replace the burner cone and blast tube.The new numbers.

co37ppm,02 5.0,co2 12%,excess air,27.6,stack temps 535.
co airfree 54ppm.draft .02 overfire..03 breech.

Temps rise on the highend due to poor distribution system.

Comments

• don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    Whats wrong

with these numbers? And what could be the problem?

co 178ppm,
    02 5.8,
    co2 11.3%
    excess air 38.2,
    stack temps 635,
    Eff 79.3%

Hello Professor.Mike T,Techman..Don in Mo...Hows everyone been?

These number were off a williams oil furnace after I,d clean
    it.I'll be returning with a new part later in the week.

Hopefully the numbers will change with the new part.

Your thoughts?
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

One quick thought, We've found a number of Williamson's with Carlin EZ-1's where the end of the blast tube fell off or was loose and was kicking the flame off to the side. Double check that.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Hi Don....

CO seems really hi, especially with a Excess air of 38.2%. If you could adjust the primary air shutters(if you have them) lowering the excess air and the stack temp should come down and % eff will rise. What seems to be the cause of the CO reading? Double check your manifold pressure.....possibly over fired.

Mike T.
  • don_156
    don_156 Member Posts: 87
    Yep

that what I found as well Paul.Bad burner cone and blast tube.

Hello Mike.The air shutter are open to wide at this time because of the burner cone.Its firing at max which is a .75 nozzle.
    I had to adjust the airshutters almost halfway open on the over a gallon band just to get a smoke spot down to a trace.
    Hope she fires ok on a cold start untill I can return.

Thanks for the replys.

• Paul Fredricks_3

I spoke with Calin today. It seems that they have found some Williamson's were equipped with the wrong burner. The thing to check is the insertion depth of the blast tube. It should be flush with the inside of the chamber or 1/4" back. Check the old one and the new. With an adjustable flange you should be able to get it right. If the old one was wrong you can probably get something back, at least on the part. If the depth was right, Carlin said they have prototype high temp blast tubes.
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    Thanks Paul

I'm surpise that to be the case after all the years thats been know.

This is a beckett burner..not that it matter when it comes to the issue at hand.however.I will check it and make sure thats not the case.

This furnace I'm sure has gone three years without any maintence.New owner that never had oil.They only knew there was a problem when soot balls started flying all over the home.

I can only assume that the positive pressure in the box was
    the reason for my parts demise.

It also has issue with not enough combustion air however, we some what remedy this with a door removal.

Do you know if beckett makes a hightemp blast tube?

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    DOn

Since you are dealing w/oil, What is your Over Fire draft and the stack draft readings? In your case, CO is never to be over 13%. Even that is on the hi side. Consult Beckett to be sure of the pressure, nozzle size and pattern. I am sure you have a barometric damper in the flue right? Oil is tricky and MUST be maintained EVERY YEAR. The time it takes to test is necessary and any changes without you knowing it only lengthens to test procedure time:-)

Mike T.
  • Paul Fredricks_3

Not sure about a high temp Beckett tube. I seem to recall, from years ago, they had a tube that was silver in color. Not sure if it was stainless. For some reason I want to say that it was a thermo Pride part, but I could be wrong.

In reality you shouldn't need it. Something went wrong that caused the damage and that something needs to be found and corrected when the new parts are installed.
This discussion has been closed.