Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hammering

Bill_39
Bill_39 Member Posts: 69
I have a customer with a one pipe steam system. The pipes bang like crazy and the beginning of the cycle. The boiler is less than five years old and is installed properly except for the height that the hartford loop ties in. I don't think this is the problem though because it's been like that for a while. the problem I found is that the pressuretrol is not working and the system gets up to about 8 or 9 psi. Then it goes off on low water. Iam going to change the pressuretrol and add main vents( there isn't any right now) Does that sound like the right solution? Maybe the higher pressure changes the a dimension to more than 28" and the water can't get back and it stays in the system and hammers until it shuts down and can get back to the boiler?

Comments

• Al Letellier_4
    Al Letellier_4 Member Posts: 7
    hammering

Sure sounds like you're headed in the right direction Frank. That much pressure will certainly change the required water column height and make that system sound likes its been invaded by the evil jackhammer crew.
    "Turn it down" and add those vents. Let us know how you make out.
  • jesse the great
    jesse the great Member Posts: 72
    hammering

you are 100% right, also put a tee connecting the pressuretrol to a 5lb presseure gauge just to make sure the pressuretrol cuts out properly
  • Bill_39
    Bill_39 Member Posts: 69
    hammering

WEnt there today and added main vents. Replaced pressuretrol and guage. also cleaned wet returns. Worked out awsome. Very quiet now and the water line stays where it's supposed to.
This discussion has been closed.