Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure relief valve ?

Options
John Abbott
John Abbott Member Posts: 356
Does anyone know of a 30lb pressure relief that non toxic antifreeze will not leak by? I am a heating professional and expansion tanks are sized appropriately so it is not a pressure issue.I keep the concentrations as low as possible and maintain the PH but to no avail. I hate antifreeze and only use it when unavoidable, but sometimes it is.

John

Comments

• Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    leaking safety on A/F

I agree with your feelings about A/F, and use it only when it's the lesser of two evils. As to leak proof safeties...I haven't found one yet. Do they exist? Maybe someone has found one, but...

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tony Conner_2
    Tony Conner_2 Member Posts: 443
    Options
    Has Anyone...

...spoken directly to safety & relief valve manufacturers? They might have different seats and/or valves available for applications like glycol service.

You could look at rupture disks - they get used in applications where the corresponding safety or reliefs would be far too expensive (as in huge) or where leakage is a problem. I have no idea how small/inexpensive they go, though.

One of the big downsides of ruptures disks is that they're a one-shot deal, like an electrical fuse. If they pop, that's it - they have to be replaced. And until they are - they remain open venting steam or vapour, or draining all the liquid filled system above them.

I have heard of process applications where a rupture disk is located just ahead of a relief, in order to deal with leakage problems. As far as I know, you have to take this into account for the relief valve capacity, and it can mean going up a size. I sure wouldn't do it on a boiler unless the manufacturer approved of it.

This discussion has been closed.