Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler auto-fill starts too early

Options
Paint thinner, vm and p (naptha) or lacquer thinner all work lighter fluid also

Comments

• Steve Garson
    Steve Garson Member Posts: 191
    Options
    Boiler auto-fill starts too early

The auto-fill on my new steam boiler starts filling when the water level is two inches above the lower pipe of the watch glass. Naturally, this overfills the boiler, so I have shut off the valve to the device.

The dwell is set on the longest (100 sec) time delay, which is the default. It's a Model WF2-U-24 connected to a McDonnell 67.

Is there any way to adjust this? Or does this mean the lower water cut off is defective, since it's contacts contract the fill valve?

My system is insulated to the max, except for one six foot length of pipe that is inaccesible.
  • John@Reliable_10
    John@Reliable_10 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Auto fills and why I ......................

hate then lol. Steam boilers are "hands on". Auto fills can mask problems. Water and steam leaks can cause boiler failure due to makeup water being added by an auto fill and you will never know until it's to late. That said, what does the water in sight glass look like when boiler is running? Could be boiler needs to be skimmed.
  • Steve Garson
    Options

I've cleaned the boiler with TSP, flushed several times and skimmed several times. The water fluctuates around 3/4-inch max at a full boil. Steam seems dry since droplets are no longer dripping down top of watch glass.

When the water fill starts, the boiler has stopped.
  • Steve Garson
    Options

Also, when things cool, the water level is right back where it should be.

Since the low water cut-over is tripping the relay when the water level is 2 inches above the bottom of the watch glass, does that mean it is defective? Or is that how it is designed to operate?
  • Steve Garson
    Options

Also, when things cool, the water level is right back where it should be.

Since the low water cut-over is tripping the relay when the water level is 2 inches above the bottom of the watch glass, does that mean it is defective? Or is that how it is designed to operate?
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carery
    Options
    May be a different problem.

Steve said:
    "Also, when things cool, the water level is right back where it should be".

If you have the auto feed shut off, does the water level drop significantly when the boiler is running and then come back up to normal when it shuts off?

Do you have wet returns, (return pipes below the operating water level of the boiler)?

If yes to both, you may have a partially blocked return line, preventing the condensate from returning back to the boiler while it operates.

When the water level drops and the condensate is held back by the blockage, the feeder engages and adds water. Thereafter, when the water eventually flows back through the partially blocked return, the original water plus the added water equals overfill.

Just a possibility to look at.

Ed
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carery
    Options
    PS to auto feed valves on steam boilers

I agree with John, that with an Automatic Water Feed valves (AWF) can in themselves be a problem.

They have their place, such as if the HO is not able to go up and down the stairs to fill the boiler, or if the HO is an absent landlord.

However, boilers with an AWF normally become a service orphan, and the boiler is out of sight and out of mind.

Usually with an AWF the homeowner never bothers to properly flush and test the Low Water Cut Off. The result is ether a dry fire of the boiler, or the corrosion in the LWCO holds the AWF on and floods the home through the radiators.

Steam boilers are better served with a manual feed, forcing the HO to have a "hands on" relationship with that boiler. In the long run it is better for them and the boiler.

JMHO

Ed
  • Steve Garson
    Options

Ed:

You hit the nail on the head! The problem was my wet return. I just spent four hours cutting and replacing some pipe and it was clearly the problem.

Now, the water level drops a mere 1/2-inch or so, instead of 2 inches.

Now how do I get Rectoseal off my hands?! I tried everything.

Steve
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Re: Rectorseal off my hands.

NOW maybe everyone will see what it took me YEARS to figure out. Rectorseal ISN'T water soluable...and thats why it works!!!

I use either Hercules no water hand soap or something with a citrus base and a bit of pumice to clean my digits when the day has filled them with said compound.

Don't forget the "fingrnail brush"!. Your family will ride you for years for sitting down to dinner with dirty hands until you take them out for a day and show them what it is that you do.(after that, a light black will sit well with them at dinner time)

We ain't sitting at a keyboard and making a living in our jobs. The "kinfolk" just have to get used to it...Chris
This discussion has been closed.