Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ford or Chevy or...?

Options
Looking into buying a 2004 or 2005 cargo van. I have never owned a Ford vehicle, but many people I talk to dislike Ford vans. What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance,

- Norm

Comments

• aaron allen
    aaron allen Member Posts: 5
    Options

Being on a construction site daily, this argument comes up every so often.

Let me share the wisdom from my Bosch certified mechanic. I asked him basically the same question, His response:

"Look you guys, I get Fords, Chevys, Dodges and all others in here for service. Your Fords' got their problems and Chevy has theirs, ain't nobody making a truck that don't require service for something."

We got 4 of the e250's with our guys, one is 2005. They all get to work everyday, ontime and one guy travels over 45 miles one way.

Of course, I drive a Chevy.

Good luck whatever you decide.

aaron
  • Jaitch
    Jaitch Member Posts: 68
    Options
    Work Truck

When I started here, it was contingent on having a Ford Van. It's whatever you prefer. I restore old Chevy cars, and tow them aroung behind my Ford pickup.The Dodge's don't have enough leg room in them for me, I haven't driven Chevy's latest incarnation of the Van. It's not worth a fistfight, though........
  • BartMan
    BartMan Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Ford's

Are great Van's, I have been driving e-350's for 15 years now. The lastest van in my fleet is a 2004 e-350 Diesel and I couldn't be happier. Alot of folks speak highly of the Sprinters so they might be worth looking into as well...
  • Jason_15
    Jason_15 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Van

I'm still driving a 1991 Ford van, everything including the A/C still works perfect. It is just now starting to get some rust. I'll definitely replace it with another ford.
  • Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260
    Options

My last two were chevys because I couldnt get a Ford off the lot quick enough. I hate Chevy they are like toys. I have a 9000 GVW van and the thing actually sags from the little weight I have in the back and the brake shoes are 1/3 the size of the Fords. The interior is recycled dixie cups I think. I have things falling off everyday
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Options
    I have had both

the oler cheveys i liked, we had dodges, they the other post AINT no leg room in that thing, short people (oops verticly challanged) only. the ford vans were 350's and go thu brakes like crazy, i have a chevey 3500 now and will up date soon, bottom line a truck is a tool to get the job done ,you take care of it , and it will not leave you very unhappy at 3:00 am in january with wind cill in the teens
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    vans

they all suck . I wish toyota would build one . our Ford just chewed up a tranny . we have two sprinters . to me this is a no brainer they get 20MPG vs about 10-12 for the rest . Do the Math . Plus it's a Mercedes Diesel which should be bullit proof .
  • Floyd_18
    Floyd_18 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Let's see....

I have three GMC 3500's. Got them because I like the extra lentgth and I don't want a long van that just has 2 more feet welded onto the **** end of the sucker. If I want to stick a boiler on the back I don't want to be huntin' coons all the way home.
    That said these vans have give me great service. over 200K on the '95, 185 on the 2000, and I'm up to 50 on the '04.
    I do get the 1 tonner because they are built heavier and the gravel roads beat the everlivin' crap outta them.
    I have hauled 2500 joist trak plates at once and the thing never even bottomed out, brakes got a bit soft, but..... I can expect that.
    The 6.0 in the '04 runs like a bat outta well.....I can pass those SOB's that like to crawl around the curves and then mash the gas on the straights......you want a run me, okay.... eat my dust!!!!

No matter what you get, make sure you size it for the job your asking it to do..... 1/2 ton vans are asking for trouble.... 3/4 ton maybe for a service vehicle only...
    for an all around vehicle, go 1 ton.

Floyd
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Ford/Chevy

I have had E series Fords as well as Chevy vans. The older Fords (Before 1995)had problems keeping front tires. Have not had a problem since. I presently have a Grumman step van with a Chevy chassis, and LOVE it. Nothing wrong mechanically. A guy I know in a neighboring company has a step van with a Ford chassis. He reports no problems either.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    vans

Love the mpg of the sprinter and how the shelves laid out, If no problems arise in the 1st year I am up to another in about 6 mos
This discussion has been closed.