Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas leak ?

Air/flo_2
Air/flo_2 Member Posts: 3
Don't use dish washing soap on csst,not sure what type of piping you used?Had a contractor use soap on csst/trac pipe, it created pin holes in pipe.if you use soap.rinse with water and dry off piping.Or call a pro...

Comments

• zeb_3
    zeb_3 Member Posts: 104
    gas leak ?

I recently ran a branch off of my Lp gas line to feed a gas range. My wife noticed lp gas odor, so I checked all the joints w/ hercules leak detector (similar to soapy water) no leaks, still smell gas. Installed a gauge (inches of water increments) (approved for this ) on gas line and find that over a period of 3-4 hours it drops from 15" to 0". Do you have any ideas to find such a slow leak?
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Thicker soap (Call a Pro)

You can make it yourself using Palmolive and just a tad of water but not too much. But to do it right SHUT OFF THE GAS. Use air pressure, CO2 or Nitrogen from a bottle.

Best bet: Call a Pro, particularly your supplier.
  • thfurnitureguy_4
    thfurnitureguy_4 Member Posts: 398

Just a thought, did the same thing in an old apartment and looked through the whole length of pipe to find it at the meter.(was just hand tight). use the soapy water liberally and shine a bright light. Pay close attention to valves. You will see the bubbles.
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    sometimes a leak is so small

that soap bubbles/leak detector will barely show it; yet the odor will be noticeable. On the other hand, a BIG leak can overpower your olfactory senses, and you may not smell it. You can mix liquid dishsoap with windshield washer fuid in a spray bottle-then spray it liberally on each joint from all directions, then watch awhile with a mirror and flashlight. It should bubble up like foam at the leak site. Sometimes an electronic leak detector is the only way to pinpoint very small leaks. The small tubes and fittings inside the range are a very likely source of leaks.
  • Dougie
    Dougie Member Posts: 12
    Call a Pro

Have to agree with Brad. LP is nothing to mess with. However, if you're determined to DIY, shut off the gas and pressurize the line to 15psi, then do your leak test. This is what a pro would do before placing the line into service.
  • Call your LP supplier

they have means to find such leaks.
  • zeb_3
    zeb_3 Member Posts: 104
    not to split hairs but

I am a semi-retired heating contractor. I ran and press. tested the gas line branch up to and including the appliance valve, press tested to 70 psi for 3 hrs. no leaks on my work. Appliance supplier / installer made connection to range via s/s flex gas connector. I'm pretty sure that it is the range that is leaking.
  • Are all the pilots lit

on the range???? Look out for the waist high broiler pilot people tend to forget that one.
  • BigRed
    BigRed Member Posts: 104
    Use air to test

> You can make it yourself using Palmolive and just

> a tad of water but not too much. But to do it

> right SHUT OFF THE GAS. Use air pressure, CO2 or

> Nitrogen from a bottle.

>

> Best bet: Call a Pro,

> particularly your supplier.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • BigRed
    BigRed Member Posts: 104
    Use air to test

Put the soap on thick like shaving cream, wait and look with a good light.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Frank M Alleva
    Frank M Alleva Member Posts: 20
    Tim is correct

Your LP supplier MUST be notified anytime you add to or remove from the exisiting system. The incremental charge for them to perform the required leak/pressure test is inconsequential to your families safety. Please call them.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Did you purge the air first?

Recheck the appliance.
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    First call a pro

second when you did your air test did you isolate all gas valves from the test. If you exposed your gas valves to elevated pressures let the pro know what you did before he/she checks the system.

when it comes to gas especially LP, don't play, don't guess,
    "Know" what you are doing or get someone who does.

Mitch S,

This discussion has been closed.