Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fitzgibbons Boilers

Options
We just replaced our Fitzgibbons OE-113-80 Series Boiler, blt. 1949, with a new Peerless EC-05. Old boiler was fired @ 2.5 gph, new one at 1.75. Old one was rated at 312000 BTU, originally coal fired converted to oil; new one is oil at 212000 BTU. Anyone have any idea what the specs on old boiler were? The new one runs forever, and still can't get steam to farthest radiators. Nothing else in system was changed, except we have all new main and radiator vents. System is single-pipe. Thanks, Dan.

Comments

• Ed N.Y.C.
    Ed N.Y.C. Member Posts: 73
    Options
    EC-05

That boiler has 3 firing rates. The noz. you are using is the middle size. I would put in next size which is 2.00 45*B at 140 psi. I am assuming you have a beckett on that boiler. Head M-V1-5 Air shutter 10.0 Air band5 Head setting 5. Would take combustion test after change. Hope this helps ED
  • Ed N.Y.C.
    Ed N.Y.C. Member Posts: 73
    Options
    EC-05

That boiler has 3 firing rates. The noz. you are using is the middle size. I would put in next size which is 2.00 45*B at 140 psi. I am assuming you have a beckett on that boiler. Head M-V1-5 Air shutter 10.0 Air band5 Head setting 5. Would take combustion test after change. Hope this helps ED
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    Radiation size? or one size fits all?

Why such a change from 312,000 to 212,000 BTU, that's a big drop.

Old coal boilers were big (and we improperly say oversized) because a coal fire runs with more loss up the flue than a constant gas or oil fire. Modern gas and oil boilers are smaller because the tighter operation allows for less necessary waste. Innovations in design also allow for miniaturization.

That said, whatever ways both old and new boilers squeeze out the heat from the fire, your building still needs the same heat output rate.

Check out the library, there is a listing of older boiler ratings.

If you still have the old boiler, measure the area in square feet of the fire tubes and fire chamber between the fire side and the steam side up to the normal water level. You'll get an accurate approximation of what you can reasonably boil away.

What's much much more important:

You need to measure all the radiators in your one pipe system, figure out their EDR radiation output and match the boiler to that number exactly.

There is a book available on this site to do just that.
This discussion has been closed.