Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how do i restore cast iron radiators

Options
I removed all my radiators and took them to a company that sandblasts and paints them. You pick any color oil based paint. I did it ten years ago and every radiator is still perfect.

I wouldn't try stripping them yourselves. It's a major job and the surfaces are so irregular it will be hard to get all the stripper off.
Steve from Denver, CO

Comments

• stephanie p
    stephanie p Member Posts: 1
    Options
    radiators

how best to refurbish cast iron radiators..they look ok alittle rust on back...........sand blast?is there someone who does this on Long island in new york
  • Brad White_36
    Brad White_36 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    How fine a finish?

Best thing if you have lead paint is professional sand or bead blasting. May be done in situ but can be messy. May beat having them shipped out. I have done both (Boston area) and the net cost and hassle factor was a wash. But I got nice pearly gray cast iron ready to prime and paint.

If not too bad, 5F5 stripper (on a COLD radiator thank you) will take the stuff off but is also messy. Did one radiator and decided blasting was worth it...

Mike Thies of Swampeast MO, a prolific contributor to this site has done outstanding work with metallic finishes if I recall. Ping him if you can.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

When I bought this rad it was devoid of all paint in a yard open to the weather.

Search this site for "cobalt drier" in the message.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    CI Rad finish

We do a lot of restoration work with antique radiators. We've found several companies locally that sandblast and paint. Powder coating is still available, but most companies are using high temperature paint.

Avg cost for sandblasting is $150-300 per radiator, with similar costs for the paint job, depending upon the radiator size. This does not include pick up or delivery of the radiator.

Be advised to plug all ports with plugs to avoid getting the grit inside the radiator, or the paint getting into the threads. Change bushings to accomodate new valves (if required) BEFORE refinishing.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.