Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flooding the Boiler

Options
Mitch_6
Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
internal or external tank less that could have a leak.

Mitch S.

Comments

• J.D.Sarick
    J.D.Sarick Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Flooding the Boiler

I had completed a major maintenance on and old two pipe steam system. Day one - no steam traps, no F&T traps, no main vents. All that is fixed and the system seems to be working well except for one thing. I replaced all the old wet returns with new and then filled up the wet return so the water level was where it should be on the sight glass, but through this whole heating season, once a week I've been finding the boiler flooded. I have to take out two to three gallons of water. There is no auto water make up in the system. Each time I take out a couple of gallons, I'll check in a week or so to find the level has creaped back up the site glass where I have to take more out. This has been the norm since November. Any thoughts??
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    f there is no auto feeder,

than where is the extra water coming from? is someone adding water? is water being added when steam is still out in the system?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Is the maual feed valve leaking by??

• J.D.Sarick
    Options

There is a manual ball valve to add water, but I assumed it was working fine. Other than that, I cannot figure where the water is coming from.
  • J.D.Sarick
    Options

No external or internal tankless hot water heater. I have a separate 40 gallon hot water heater next to the boiler.
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    that leaves

The manual feed valve as the suspect
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Got to get water from some place

it will not get in from the fuel of flue. Replace the feed valve with a good ball valve and go from there.

Mitch S.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    system original water line

Are there any drips off the main and has the original water line of the originally installed boiler been copied ?If not you may be taking on water while the system is running until those drip legs are under water then the system runs correctly until she shuts off and stays off then the condensate water seeks it's level and bang you got more water then when you started .Shut the feed valve off and turn your stat up and watch your system if the unit is shutting off on low water while the valves closed and calling for heat open the valve and check out how long it feeds for and wait until that call for is done and satisfyed ,see if your water line starts to raise if she does thenb there's the culprit .After that check out the lost art and you'll figure it out peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.