Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Heating blooper

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,692
"love" this.

For those of you who may miss the punch line, the fin tub is installed wrong; the air can't pass through the fins.

The lady said the room doesn't heat up...

Gary
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Baseboard Heating blooper

You gotta live this; it's upside down on the face plate, but it gets better- check it out.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Yup...

I love the blank stare displayed when I explain why it doesn't work.

"Can't we just take the cover off ?"
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    HeHe

That' great and I tell people that compared to radiant and good ductwork , baseboard is idiot proof .

i forgot to bring my camera in but in it I've got picture I took today of a burhnam boiler and indirect water installed in a cape cod style knee wall crawl space . ON THE SECOND FLOOR !!!! Yup it can't be more than four feet high on the tall side.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Alan_11
    Alan_11 Member Posts: 64
    Options

When you install it that way it's called DUMMY baseboard.
  • Got called in once

to an old mansion on the Atlantic Ocean where the owner complained of very high fuel bills and very little comfort and of course you know everyone was blaming the boiler! There was over 300 feet of Slant-Fin 30 installed that way in the house and yes it was installed by the lowest bidder. It wasn't the low bidder that got blessed with taking it all out and reinstalling it though. To compound matters, some of the rooms had wall-to-wall carpet installed and the carpet installer wrapped the carpet up and under the element and trimmed it off flush with the front cover. As one of my coworkers always used to say "There is no such thing as Idiotproof because there will always be a better Idiot".

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • RoosterBoy
    RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459
    Options
    That is Rich! *~/:)

here is one for you,some guys i know were called over to explain why the heat was a little low in a bedroom...seems the drops had never been connected:)

Go ,...With It!
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carery
    Options
    More, more, more Heat

Great photos

When it did not heat, I am surprised that the Rocket Scientist that installed the baseboard did not try to also sell her a new boiler. This would probably be his explanation:

"Well it doesn't heat because that old boiler that has heated your house ok for the last 20 years now isn't big enough for this new style high performance baseboard.
    I'll just install a new 250,000 BTU boiler to replace that old 120,000 BTU and everything will be fine. Oh by the way, the new bigger boiler will be more efficient, because the bigger boiler does not have to run as hard"

Yea,,,, right

Ed
  • Albert Huntermark
    Options

Ed, instead of installing the bigger boiler, why not a bigger pump first! HaHaHa!!! I had to redo a small single family home with the baseboard installed wrong by the lowest bidder. Ya, many years ago when I was a "young apprentice" when I convinced a family member that hot water heat was the way to go when she stepped up from space heaters to a central heating system. The company that I worked for was installing a lot at the time. Unfornately, our company was a few hundred dollars higher than the lowest bidder that got ultimately got the job. The areas without heat that were piped wrong "were done by the helper!" The guy first tried installing hundreds of dollars worth of 1/2" copper gate valves and boiler drains to "get out the trapped air!" of the runs. When that didn't work, "It had to be the pump not pumping enough!" He put in a B&G HV pump. After that didn't work, the family member, upset for listening to me in the first place and not getting a nice forced air system like an uncle had had installed, reluctantly let me have a look. I couldn't believe what I saw! And I was still a rookie! The contractor came out. I showed him what was up. He was a nice guy, I tried to be too! So I drained the system and rotated the heaters in question 90 degrees and like magic there was heat. At that point, he decided to concentrate on strictly plumbing after that job! I got an HV B Pump for my trouble, and a family member that never seconded guessed me again!!!
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carery
    Options
    Non Freezing baseboard

Now Weez,

Don't pick on that poor contractor. He was installing that special non freezing baseboard.

If the system ever went down and all of the pipes froze, that piece in the bedroom would never have been damaged,,,,,,,,,,

And if anyone believes that one, I know of a really nifty bridge in Brooklyn that is for sale.

Ed
This discussion has been closed.