Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil to gas conversion burners

Ray Landry
Ray Landry Member Posts: 203
Looking for anyone with experience on installing oil to gas conversion burners (wayne, carlin, ect) the boiler in question is a peerless oil fired boiler circa early 90's. Customer wants the cheapest way out of the conversion process possible.... trying to sell a new boiler, but they want the cheapest way out possible. I am trying to contact peerless to see if this will in fact void the boiler warranty (which I'm sure it will) but I'm just wondering what your opinion is on a conversion burner adn what needs to be done during conversion. I'm sure theres probably a myriad of air shutter/gas adjustments to be made on the burner, and I'm assuming you must remove the old fire blanket, baro. damper, ect. We will be installing a chimney liner on this job as the existing flue is oversized and on an outside wall. Any input is appreciated!

Ray Landry

Comments

• Dave_74
    Dave_74 Member Posts: 13
    Conversion Burners

Contact Midco Burners (Chicago) for the nearest authorized distributor or representative. Charlie Aiello is the Sales Manager who can direct you to the local company. Midco makes conversation burners just for this purpose. You will need to know 1.) the input BTU per hour required, 2.) the firebox length, width, and height to avoid flame impingment, and 3.) the expected furnace pressure in inches w.c.

With this information, Midco can recommend the model that would be right for this conversion.

The Midco burners are available with a universal mounting plate that can be readily adapted to the boiler or a secondary mounting plate.

You will need to look at the specific burner O&M manual to be sure and do the refractory correctly around the burner blast tube.

Again, this is a very common use of the Midco burners. It is done all the time.

Good luck.

• Dick Charland
    Dick Charland Member Posts: 178
    Check out

Carlin EZ Gas burner, user friendly, should work very well in this application.
  • Ray get in touch with

me I have a complete manual for sale that I can ship to you which covers what to do from A to Z.

The warranty will be voided and you become the designer with the full responsibility that entails. I do not recommend doing this unless you have had training on installing gas conversion burners. With proper training and following directions it will give around 80% to 82% combustion efficiency if done properly.

What is the input to the boiler? Have you done a heat loss on the house?

If you have any questions you can call me at 401-437-0557 after 8:00 PM any day but Thursday.
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Why??

Why do they want to change without changing the equipment ??? You did inform them that they will save NO MONEY right? If they want to save money and don't want to buy a new boiler why not give them a super tune up by hot rodding the burner and sell them out door reset . Unless they have some other reason to switch to gas?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • albionalden
    albionalden Member Posts: 1
    Someone rebuilt the burner

Someone rebuilt the burner a few years ago and used pipe dope on the flanges where the burner sections bolt together. Midco states they must be sealed with furnace cement (which seems crappy)or the section joints will leak. Supply to regulator is 7". Scottish Gas

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited May 2012
    Economics

of gas conversions are hard to argue with at the moment thanks to what can only be described as a bizarre historical disparity of cost per unit of energy between oil and NG - especially here in North America.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/492991-oil-and-natural-gas-ratio-explodes-to-52-1

Note that the chart above is not corrected for cost per BTU - this http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=5830 has both price and BTU ratios.  Looking for something which compares retail NG with heating oil.
This discussion has been closed.