Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Left hand threads on steam radaitor?

Options
tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,761
I had a local machine shop make me a couple before and they worked out great.

Comments

• DennisGE
    DennisGE Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Left hand threads on steam radiators

Do some single pipe steam radiators have left hand threads?
  • michael_15
    michael_15 Member Posts: 231
    Options
    between sections?

In between sections? Sometimes, old radiators had nipples that twisted both ways. Here's a link -- read the top question:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=20

-Michael

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

I had a HW rad with left-hand threads. Actually, it was tapped for either. The LH threads were on the largest opening, but plugged with a LH thread bushing, that converted it to 3/4 RH thread. I was told it was to couple rads together with a special dog wrench. Never could find new caps with LH threads.

T
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • walter_5
    walter_5 Member Posts: 1
    Options

if you are talking about the union between the radiator and the valve make sure you are turning it the correct way (coventional thread). The union nut stays on the nipple coming out of the radiator - it is not part of the valve.
  • thfurnitureguy_4
    thfurnitureguy_4 Member Posts: 398
    Options

any thoughts on brazing a bushing in to the LHT tapping? I have one of these beauties and only need 1.25 tapping. The only left right nipples I have found are 4 " long. This makes for a big radiator in a tight spot.
  • thfurnitureguy_4
    thfurnitureguy_4 Member Posts: 398
    Options

No as it is with all things that involve a pipe wrench.... This one was a left hand thread. I was told this was a way to attach additional sections to a radiator or additional radiators. Mine had a threaded plug (looked like the end of a beer can) threaded into the lower 2" tapping. It looked like an easy fix to remove it, add a bushing and the new valve. On this radiator the vent was on the same side as the supply and was not heating well. of course the LHT was on the side I wanted to locate the new valve.
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

If it is a LH thread plug you have, a machine shop will be able to tap a RH thread hole of any size up to the size below your plug. That's what I had done.

T
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.