Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help Wanted

is likely not needed at all. That's a Vapor system which was designed to run on a half-pound of steam or thereabouts. With the proper pressure cutout, called a Vaporstat, the boiler pressure will be low enough that the water can return by gravity.

The Return Trap was essentially a pressure-powered pump, which served to return water if the boiler pressure got too high. This was how they solved the pressure problem before Vaporstats were invented. For a discussion of how it worked, see chapter 15 of Dan's book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating", available on the Books and More page of this site.

Have you found any names on the Return Trap or Vent Trap that would help us identify the system?


  • Paul Mitchell_2
    Paul Mitchell_2 Member Posts: 184
    Help Wanted

    We are looking for an experienced service/install tech. The / means good at both. Must know oil, gas, A/C. Great pay etc. All the benefits and truck. We are in NJ and do work in Monmouth and Ocean Counties. Please call our office 732-892-4957.
  • JB Barnes
    JB Barnes Member Posts: 1
    Steam return trap system

    I am replacing piping on a return trap steam system that has previously been altered since being a coal fired system. 0002 picture shows a condensate reciever that was added at some time. I`m wondering if it is in the proper place in the system or if it was done incorrectly. The boiler is a Weil McLean gas similar to an LBG. I do not understand the return trap system and know it has not been maintained in years. I can replace the piping but would like to make the system better if possible. The condensate reciever also floods out the vent regularily.
This discussion has been closed.