Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what do you think?

Options
jeff_51
jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
That's all

Comments

• Andy_14
    Andy_14 Member Posts: 121
    Options

I am getting bids on a radiant job at my house and had a contractor tell me today that he has 20 years hydronic experience but yet says heat load on the building is not necessary. What do you think?
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Guess

I think he likes to guess and over size his jobs....
  • grindog
    grindog Member Posts: 121
    Options
    question him

a heat loss is one of the most important parts to the job. Ask him why he does not need to do one. Dont let him match the numbers on the old boiler that could be trouble
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    After 35+ years

I still wouldn't attempt a radiant design/install without doing MY OWN heat loss calculations. Not even in my own home. Let's just say I learned that lesson in the school of hard knocks and lived to learn better!

Move on.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Wow

With in 5 min....... All the same reply. ........... Enough said !
  • Andy_14
    Andy_14 Member Posts: 121
    Options

This is new construction(whole new system) that's why I also thought he didn't know what he was doing. From my reading, proper heat load/loss calculation is the first thing that should be done. Not being an expert I thought I'd ask to be sure. Thanks
  • John Boyer
    John Boyer Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Leary

NEXT!

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    New - Old

Dosn't matter, if you don't know your guessing.

20 years in the business came help you with an educated guess, but the word is still there. Guess !

Tell him he did'nt get the job and when he ask's why, just say "Guess".

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    You mean to tell me............

that you can't walk into a house or look at prints and tell that radiant will or will not work and what style to use? Do you do a complete heat loss and design before you bid it?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    You, the homeowner,

could hire a designer to do a heatload calc. Most reps manufactures or radiant designers will do this for you. It may be wise to do this and compare to any calcs a contractor may present you with.

More often than not a reluctant (to do a calc) contractor will oversize the heat source and undersize, or under design the heat emitter system. At least that has been my most common call back issue :)

hot rod

• Unknown
    Options

complete heatloss, sketch design, yes.

Too many times I've been surprised at how the numbers work out. I can usually tell when an area will need supplemental.. but how much, no can do, and what radiant installation is needed for each area, that requires hard numbers unless you're one-sizing everyone into top of the line stuff. Maybe if all the houses in your area are built identically, it's easier, but that EPS sheathing layer makes a big difference... or that foam insulation... or that window type... or... or... or...
This discussion has been closed.