Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Long or Short Flarenuts

Options
gray
gray Member Posts: 1
with long fl nuts water can get in and freeze and crack them. the short nuts or frost nuts are thicker and less prone to splitting.

Comments

• Servicewiz_2
    Servicewiz_2 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Long or Short Flarenuts

What is the reason to have long and short flarenuts ? Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options

short or heavy forge for LP long for fuel oil.
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454
    Options

I was taught that it was short for oil lines and long for LP gas or wherever there may be a need for more support at the fitting.
  • Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    Options
    I was aware

that long flare huts are for oil and short for lp as well
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    \"Nuts\"?

I like the long flare nuts when I can get em. A flare is a flare. 1/2" of extra body on the nut doesen't support anything...............
  • Doug Wagoner
    Doug Wagoner Member Posts: 78
    Options
    short or long flare nuts

Short flare nuts are for refrigerant piping that is exposed to frost as in subzero conditions. There is no space for frost to build between the nut and the pipe and cause damage.
  • jim sokolovic_3
    jim sokolovic_3 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I see U.L. approval of flare nuts listed as....

Both long and short nuts are approved for "Flammable Liquids".

Forged nuts are approved for "Gasses" and "Refrigeration".

Source - Parker Fittings Catelog

Would Propane be considered a liquid, a gas, or possibly both?
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    far as I remember

Doug has it right, and either can be used for oil service, but the forged are a couple cents more.

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Bob Sweet
    Bob Sweet Member Posts: 540
    Options
    L.P.

Is in a liquid form in the tank, it has a extremely low boiling point. As soon as it hits the atmosphere it vaporizes to a gas. (heavier than air gas).
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    Options
    we run 2lb gas out here so use only the forged

code requires forged on 2lb gas and than can go with the long nuts after we reduce down, but why carry two differant kinds? The forged are desinged for higher pressure ac work as has been stated, but we like the extra saftey factor
  • jim sokolovic_3
    jim sokolovic_3 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    When does Liquified Propane...

flash to a gas? If this happens when it hits the atmosphere, then it would be passing through the supply piping and even gas valve as a liquid. Doesn't the change in state happen closer to the tank?
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    a little off subject on the LP properties but..

LP boils at -44F and expands 270x.

Forged nuts are considered stronger with less incidence of cracking supposedly. My local gas utility requires short forged nuts on gas. According to the Copper Tube Handbook, there is no distinction made at the Nat'l level but left up to the AHJ.

HTH,
  • Bob Sweet
    Bob Sweet Member Posts: 540
    Options
    L.P.

Has a very low boiling point sorta like refridgerant, around - 40* celcius as soon as it leaves the tank it is in a gaseous state. Thats why it can be used in very cold climates the only problem is sometimes the regulators will freeze up.
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    LP gas

The liquid evaporates or "boils" at any temperature above -40F more or less. The amount of vapor available in the top of the bottle is dependant upon the temperature of the bottle and its contents, and the surface area of the liquid inside. The pressure of the vapor will vary with temperature, and can be released suddenly if temps get too high, or may not produce vapor at all if temps get too low. As the evaporated gas is used up, the liquid level will get lower until it is gone entirely.
  • JohnWood1
    JohnWood1 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Right Answer!!

Short were made for refrigerant use. Long 'uns for H2O
  • R Stone
    R Stone Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Forged nuts

I use forged nuts on gas and oil. Deffinitly if it is an outside oil line. I've seen ice build up and crack the cheaper flare nuts.
This discussion has been closed.