Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PermaLynx instead of soldering?

Options
Big Ed
Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
.......something like the Shark Bite ??

Comments

• Albert Huntermark
    Albert Huntermark Member Posts: 68
    Options
    PermaLynx instead of soldering?

Fellow Wallies, anyone tried the new PermLynx solderless copper fittings yet? I saw a demonstration of them this week. Nibco and Victaulic combined and made a fitting to compete with Propress. However, the only tool that you need is to dress the tubing. It cost about $75.00 for sizes 1/2 thru 1-1/4. You use it to chamfer and deburr the fitting. After applying Vic lube, you press the fitting on the pipe by hand. That's it. It is rated at 2000lbs pressure. The advantages, no soldering, no expensive equipment, no cumbersome equipment for tight places. Looked pretty good. It is availabe up to 2" at this time.
  • Albert Huntermark
    Options
    Not sure.

Not sure Ed, I've never seen Shark Bite Fittings. The PermaLynx copper fittings have a mini Victaulic type gasket in them surrounded by mini stainless steel teeth that act as "Chinese handcuffs" to hold the fitting in place. So,they may be like Shark Bite. They are said to work under pressure or vacuum. They are rated for maximum water service of 200psi, maximum temp 230F. They passed 600psi hydrostatic testing. In my earlier posting I said the pressure was 2000lbs, however I should have explained that that the salesman told us that was pulling apart testing in a machine at a testing lab. Their catalog lists a website as www.inventsolutions.com Phone 1-877-No-Flame.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options

last year i heard they were not tested in a heating application has that changed? and i bet the fittings cost more then the pro-press? i like to solder my fittings and it's cheaper

thanks
  • Albert Huntermark
    Options
    Recomended for Hydronic Heating

RoosterBoy. Along with potable cold & hot water, it is recomended for hydronic heating, chilled water, cooling water. I have never priced Propress fittings, but 1/2" cxc 90 Pemalynx is about $2.70, couplings & 45's around that price range. Tee's a little more. I like you still prefer soldering and still do. However, these could be an option in situations were soldering is difficult or impossible. ie not getting water off 100%, tight quarters, etc. $2.70 -v- .49, soldering a 1/2" 90 doesn't take that long! However, when I broke into the field I knew an 80 year old master plumber that didn't trust soldering!!! Are things going to change? However, I'm not shelving my trusty reliable B-tank anytime soon!
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    yes

We used them in a three-story apt bldng where the water line was in a cramped space and had leaked onto a black iron gas line for quite some time. We needed to cut out and weld in a new section of gas line. No need to wait for the building to drain as we have in the past for soldering, although the tube absolutely must be reamed or the gaskets will be damaged. There wasn't any room for our ProPress tool.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options

yea they are pricey but i could see a good need for them in a real tight space where it's tough to get a torch into and i like the fact that you don't have to worry about a bit of water in the pipe so in tight places like under a sink to fix a leak or something fast sounds like a nice product.

but for heating id use as much solder as i can i also saw some fittings at the supply house they had solder all ready inside all you had to do is heat it up. wow i said i still don't trust that but will see how this new stuff works i don't think i will ever give up soldering I'm a welder by trade so to me soldering is fun

thanks for the reply
    Jason
This discussion has been closed.