Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

air vent on my boiler

Options
As far as no heat DO YOU HAVE PRESSURE ON THE BOILER GAUGE??

Comments

• john_112
    john_112 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    air vent

the air vent on the boiler suppose to let the air out but with my boiler.. there is water coming out as well. lots of water. and my heater is not working.. i dont know what is wrong.. i had the pump. aquastic. and expansion tank just change. please help
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Is the boiler running??

And is the feed valve keeping preessure @ 12psi +/-
  • john_112
    Options

the boiler is running i am not sure about the feed valve i think it is not
  • Ron Schroeder
    Options
    Is there

Pressure on the boiler gauge you probably neew to feed watyer to th boiler n1/2 inch copper going to a pressure reducing valve
  • Ron Schroeder
    Options
    Just saw the pic can you tighten the cap on the venb?

• john_112
    Options

yes i can tight it if i tighting it the air will be trap would it cause problems
  • john_112
    Options

why is there no heat in the first and third floor.
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Options
    air vent leak

If the boiler pressure is staying around 12-20 psi on the pressure/temperature gauge then the feed valve is letting in fresh water to replace the leakage (it will have a pressure reducing valve connected to your cold water supply and to the boiler and maybe w/ a back flow preventer (a TEE like thing w/ a small drain tube off the bottom) in series too.

You can see if the valve to the pressure reducer/feed valve is open, if it is it should feed water in.

The air vent should be easy to have replaced, and it is remotely possible (with a little light hand brushing and some loosening-tightening that the little cap on it can still be tightened down to close/seal the vent for now.

The boiler water may have had a lot of air come out of solution (due to fresh water being added) following the aquastat & expansion tank change followed by the vent sticking open due to a piece of grit or the like, also there may be a air pocket in the radiation somewhere that's blocking water circulationto the first and the third floor causing you to not get heat.

It should be easy to fix -- give a call to the installer who did the x-tank and aquastat, he shoulld be able to get you back up in short order.
  • john_112
    Options

shut of the water what do you mean exactly??

there is no pressure on the boiler gauge.
  • Ron Schroeder
    Options
    Probably air bound

either boiler aquastat set too high and making steam or you lost water pressure
  • scrook_2
    Options
    No boiler pressure... SHUT OFF POWER, NOW!

If no pressure, SHUT OFF the boiler. DO NOT add water. You have air in the system, hence no heat.
  • Ron Schroeder
    Options
    John Do

As Scrook says shut down and call your heat guy now
  • scrook_2
    Options
    No boiler pressure... SHUT OFF POWER, NOW!

If no pressure, SHUT OFF the boiler. DO NOT add water. You have air in the system, hence no heat. Once power is off, call your service guy.
  • john_112
    Options

should the air vent be open a little bit to let air out?

• john_112
    Options

what would happen if i shut off power ??

how can i stop the water coming in??
  • Ron Schroeder
    Options
    Not until you find out why you have no pressure

• john_112
    Options

there is pressure pressure is at 6psi
  • adayton_2
    adayton_2 Member Posts: 130
    Options
    leaky air vent

looks a little rusty, perhaps I am misunderstanding something here, but, why not put a NEW air vent to stop it from hissing water.....THEN go find if there is any further leaks elswhere. 6 PSI while low is not a problem for the boiler to be running on. Also are there air vents/eliminators on other floors that are also perhaps NOT working?? i.e., perhaps there IS air upstairs. Try to "gently and carefully" bleed some radiators on each floor.

Alfred
  • scrook_2
    Options
    power off, etc.

If you shut off power it will NOT fire. Then you can shut off the cold water feed and eventually the leak will slow down. It sounds as though it has trapped are at a couple places in the system, (and perhaps even in the boiler -- in which case you DO NOT want to fire it!) You might succeed in getting the cap on the vent tightened slowing/stopping the leak too.

The air vent can be replaced, (and the other controls, etc checked) then water can be added and trapped air purged out, and you'll be back in business. It's just tough to diagnose over the net, and no doubt frustrating to you, as the house cools.

How long ago was the pump/tank/aquastat replaced?
This discussion has been closed.