Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Booster tank issue

Options
Exactly...

Comments

• jrc2905
    jrc2905 Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Repair to booster tank system?

If a booster tank is connected to a tankless coil that has an internal leak, what are the repair options, if the tankless cannot be removed from the boiler?
  • Brad White_36
    Brad White_36 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    If the tankless coil cannot be removed

then there is no repair that I can think of. You would have to abandon it in place, disconnect it and plug it. If you do not you will overfill/over-pressurize your boiler of course.

Once that is settled you need to create a "work-around" such as an indirect tank or sidearm heater off of the main heating supply, as it's own zone or via a heat exchanger.

If steam is what you have, that may be another issue. In that case you would pipt the indirect to a hydronic circuit below the water line and sub-steaming limit controls to run that service without heating the house uneccessarily.

Of course you can always install a totally separate gas or oil fired heater.

No matter which way you decide, the booster tank can at least help with storage so you do not have to waste the investment. Hook that up with a bronze shuttle pump to charge it off the primary heater.

Good Luck.

Brad
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Options
    How about

an external HX to salvage the booster tank?
  • B. Tice
    B. Tice Member Posts: 206
    Options
    Yes

You could set it up Energy Kinetics or Aero style with the plate heat exchanger, therefore saving your tank, pump and piping.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jrc2905
    jrc2905 Member Posts: 98
    Options

This is what I thought, so why do people invest in a booster tank when a indirect is available and will not depend on the tankless coil. It seems to me that installing an indirect is not that more work. Now I have to tell the customer thay are back to spending more money on their hot water system.
  • Brad White_36
    Brad White_36 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    The reason a booster tank is used

is strictly for storage, something to draw from when the producer (usually a tankless) is not sufficient to keep up with demand flow rates.

When you are starting from that standpoint (a tankless or instantaneous heater of fixed through-put) adding a booster tank makes sense. But I agree if the next step is to generate DHW from another source such as your boiler, buy an indirect now. Use it as a booster until such time as you hook it up as a bona-fide indirect heater.
This discussion has been closed.