Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Opinions...

Options
there's a good chance you'll cut your fuel consumption in half. Those old snowman boilers were horribly inefficient.

But have you considered thermostatic radiator valves, instead of a complete repiping? They might give you the results you want with a lot less work.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

My wife & I just bought this 4-plex...I have mentioned needing to size a new boiler, and requested the slant-fin sizer, but nothing has come.

1) Would anyone just remove this boiler, or is it best left to a pro to remove the asbestos?(or just leave it?)

2) Looking for advise to size the new HW boiler. Will likely be Crown.

Am going to split the main floor into 2 zones, so all the old pipe & valves go. Should be a sweet, clean install. Thanks for any wisdom...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Timco
    Options

Need a re-pipe with seperate circs to allow for the utility monitoring company to monitor the circs for usage and break down the gas bill. A new thing here. They will also read the new sub-meters we will install on the individual WH's and the 'to be' sperated water lines. Some rad valves are volcanos of corrosion...some pipes are rusting through. Time for all new...

Tim
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    Have the pro's

I would personally want the old boy removed by pro's. Better to have it done now and be done with it. Asbestos is nothing to mess with yourself.. Good luck on the project....
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,016
    Options
    Unless you want to chance mesothelioma .........................

in 25 years for you and yours...get a pro. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco
    Options

We hired a pro yesterday. 1st guy quoted $4000 to remove the boiler and the asbestos...2nd guy quoted $1000 for both. Both epa certified and licensed. (We went with #2, in case you were wondering.)

Thanks for the advise. I use it!!!

Tim

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.