Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Convert oil fired boiler to nat gas

Options
Terry S
Terry S Member Posts: 2
Is there a kit to convert a oil fired boiler to nat. gas

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Depends on the boiler.

There is a Riello gun type burner you might consider....
  • Terry S
    Terry S Member Posts: 2
    Options

This is to convert a residental boiler
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Options
    only a few oil boilers

where aproved by their manufacturer for gas power burners.
    Check with the boiler maker. Many will say in their install manuals that the appliance was only designed for an oil burner. So all warranty and support is lost if you try.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    boiler

It can be done. Have unit inspected to see if it is a candidate for a retrofit and if it is safe. Check with your municipality weather they accept retrofits as such. Midco and Carlin both make a gas burner that will work. With the price of gas, you would save a bundle by replacing the whole thing with a high efficiency packaged boiler.
  • Bryan_16
    Bryan_16 Member Posts: 262
    Options
    right

Ken is correct. I work on a number of oil boilers that were converted to gas with an Adams burner. You can achieve very good burner efficiency, but system efficiency is terrible. Most of the ones I worked on have been replaced and heating costs dropped 50-75%.
  • Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    Options

My personal experience with a natural gas conversion resulted in dramatically higher costs. I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that the flame of the natural gas power burner radiates heat differently than an oil flame so the heat exchange is not as efficient.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Could part of this have been

that gas costs more than oil per BTU in your area?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Options
    In the Boston

area gas conversion burners were supplied by the Gas company but now they only supply replacement boilers so you cannot switch back. You may want to check with your supplier for promotions.

My luck with conversion burners has been very good but you have to set them up right, with a combustion analizer they are even easier. I have gone to several older installations and been able to dial them right in.

Not a weekend warrior task.

Mitch S.
  • Brad White_36
    Brad White_36 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Boston Gas

conversion burners were "Economite" brand. Power flame burners designed to fit the oil burner gun plate. Not too expensive but I am sure there are better ones out there now.

I had one for years in an older Peerless that worked great.

As you said Boston Gas (now Keyspan) is out of the conversion business and into full appliance replacement through their subsidiaries.
This discussion has been closed.