Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water in Gorton air vents

Options
dave_43
dave_43 Member Posts: 9
I am having problems with water in Gorton "D" air vents (one pipe steam)20 unit 3 story apt bldg. There are 2 radiators on each of two floors per riser. The water slows down the venting and the rooms are cold. I shake the water out, the heating improves for a few days, then is wet again. Main line are vented with 4 Gorton mainline on each. Boiler run clocked at 33 minutes for a 1 1/2 degree setback. My basic problem is not enough air is removed from the radiators - only 1/3 of the coils heat. I've read Dan's steam heat books but I'm missing something. Any advice? Thanks Dave

Comments

• T-O
    T-O Member Posts: 29
    Options

Gorton D are good size vents. Do you have them on all the radiators? Are all the radiators heating up only 1/3? First , second and third floor? Your one pipe system, what kind of system is it? upfeed, downfeed, etc..? Where is the thermostat? first floor? Do you also have a D air valve in the room where the thermostat is located? What is your boiler's pressure cut off and cut in?
    Anyway, I don't see how the boiler runs only 33 minutes for 1-1/2 degree set back, and as you said "all the radiators are only 1/3 hot. For that set back and the size of the building, the boiler should be running more like 1 to 1-1/4 hours or a little longer. So you need to look at your thermostat to see if it is working / set properly, location and air vent size on the radiator closest to the thermostat. Concerning water on the air vents, it initially indicates that they may be too large for the uni, specially if you have them on the first and second floor, or boiler's pressure is too high.
    T-O
This discussion has been closed.