Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

faint gas smell, only when boiler runs

David Sutton_6
David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
i would get some one to look at it ASAP, if you smell gas your gas supplyer should respond right away!

this is not something you should wonder if it will go away, call someone

David

Comments

• Sally G
    Sally G Member Posts: 1
    faint gas smell, only when boiler runs

Is this a problem? There is no gas smell in the summer, so it isn't a leak in the piping. But now, when it's cold and the boiler is running a lot, there's a faint smell. It collects at the top of the basement stairs, and I can also smell it very near the boiler.

Boiler is a Munchkin wall-mounted.

I went out and stuck my nose in the exhaust and it doesn't seem to smell of gas, in fact it smells surprisingly clean and fresh.
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,861
    Could be gas valve leak

HO here; had the same problem last year. Faint smell of gas; usually smells more when boiler runs since gas is being drawn through the line. Obviously get a good tech to check it out. Gas valve in my case was inside boiler housing but could be somewhere close by. Repair took 3 minutes with a tightening of the valve, but let a pro handle this asap; could be various other causes as well. Potentially very dangerous.

David
  • Rich Dufort
    Rich Dufort Member Posts: 2
    same problem here

I also have noticed a faint "gassy" smell at the top of my basement stairs. We have wall-mounted munchkin t80m. I called the installer to service the boiler (remove the "coffee grounds" after 18 mo. use) and we went over the smell problem. It's definitely not a gas valve leak and smells more like the outflow at the outside of the house (definitely not "clean and fresh" here). It appears that small amounts of outflow are being sucked back into the inflow pipe and winter/windy conditions make it worse. I'm hoping the cleaning will help a little and I'm going to tape the cover of the box to provide a better seal. I'll let you know if it works.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    staying alive

if it is only a faint smell, you will probably only experience a small explosion. if you wish to stay alive call a lic. plumber and test the gas lines before it is all over.
  • Arthur
    Arthur Member Posts: 216
    Gas smell

I had this problem a few years ago, Found the union after the gas valve was leaking hence the smell only when the burner was going. A 10 second tighten of the union with a wrench fixed it. Spray the fittings after the gas valves with a soap mixture may show it up.
  • dbruno
    dbruno Member Posts: 2
    Faint gas smell OUTSIDE from Munchkin exhaust

Just noticed this today and hung around it awhile - only when exhaust is coming out there is a very faint gas smell - when it cycles off no smell - never noticed it in the summer so doubt it is a propane line - no smell at all in the house....I called the guy who has serviced the boiler and he said to look in the exhaust pipe and make sure the air intake was not clogged - it's dark now so will try that in the daylight but does anyone else have ideas?
  • dbruno
    dbruno Member Posts: 2
    Faint gas smell OUTSIDE from Munchkin exhaust

Just noticed this today and hung around it awhile - only when exhaust is coming out there is a very faint gas smell - when it cycles off no smell - never noticed it in the summer so doubt it is a propane line - no smell at all in the house....I called the guy who has serviced the boiler and he said to look in the exhaust pipe and make sure the air intake was not clogged - it's dark now so will try that in the daylight but does anyone else have ideas?
This discussion has been closed.