Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this true about c02

Options
Low Carbon Monoxide Risk
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odorless and colorless gas that is the by-product of combustion of any carbon-based fuel and which can pose serious health risks. Oil, coal, wood, propane and natural gas all emit CO and when functioning properly all heating units are safe. Nevertheless, in the event that a malfunction occurs, oil heat units will emit smoke prior to accumulating dangerous levels of CO. Naturally, this serves as a warning sign. When a natural gas or propane burner malfunctions, however, it will emit dangerous levels of CO before a smoke build-up.

Comments

• Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    It is my understanding...

... that oil-fired systems can produce carbon monoxide with or without the presence of smoke. I would not rely on zero smoke to convince me that the combustion is set up well. The only way to know is to test.
  • Dave Belisle
    Dave Belisle Member Posts: 68
    Options
    zero smoke CO !!!

Years ago I did some testing to see how differant settings would effect an oil boiler .

I had the boiler running with zero smoke and 1,200 PPM CO !!!
    Don't just rely on the zero smoke on setting up an oil boiler.

All Carbon based fuels , All !! will generate large amounts of CO if not set up correctly.

Dave in NH
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    False

Oil can produce high CO with no smoke. I've seen it happen.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tim_25
    Tim_25 Member Posts: 16
    Options

I too have seen high monoxide with zero smoke. A combustion analyzer is the only way to insure proper set-up and combustion. Is it possible to have low/no C/O and smoke??

Tim in Ak.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    the secret weapon

They're using calibrated smoke! Don't you have your color cards that work like a smoke number only for CO?
    ;-)
This discussion has been closed.