Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Residential Knight Install - Dual Boilers (job pics)

Options
Really good looking install Paul. It must be nice to have a homeowner give you what appears to be free reign to do your thing. I need my shades just to look at it! Are those copper headers something that you brazed up or what?

I was recently at a manufacturer of heat exchangers (think fan coils and evaporators) and have a new respect for the art of copper brazing.

Larry

Comments

• Paul Rohrs_5
    Paul Rohrs_5 Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Nearing completion

Our latest job is nearing completion. This 10,000 sq/ft home is all slab-on-grade infloor radiant heat. It has 8 heating zones all controlled by the Tekmar TN4 system. My original proposal was for 1ea of a Lochinvar Knight 210,000 btu boiler, but the HO and builder had been to some of our commercial jobs with multiple boilers so he requested two 105,000 Knight boilers. I used an 1-1/2 Caleffi Hydroseparator and was totally impressed with it. I think I will pull off the insulation that comes with it and have my insulator wrap it as well. We are going to have the glossy black pvc skinned insulation on this in a few weeks.

We used all Uponor 1/2" multicor on the zones but 3/4" multicor for our supply/return piping to our remote manifolds.

Our HVAC shop was on-site but the plumber and electrician were actually “Friends” of the HO and did the job time and materials. Go figure. I really wanted to have concealed wiring on everything and was NOT impressed with the electrician, so I wired it all myself with the 1-1/2” Grey Panduit for low-voltage and 4x4” wiring gutter for the line voltage. I really like the black T&B conduit and it’s easy to work with. The diamond plate is for show and can only thank Heatboy and the like for laying the groundwork so to speak. Imitation is the best form of flattery.

The TN4 system is working well. Both Knight boilers are in “BMS” mode and respond really well to the 423 tekmar. I have yet to set the 120-gallon Superstor indirect but it is coming together.

Each zone is zoned by circulator and has an Istec flow-setter (Visual flow indicator) on each return. The zone synchronization of the TN4 stats is something to behold. In essence, it will monitor and bring on zones independently but will try to target multiple firing of zones at one time to prevent short cycling.

Matt J did the piping and venting and did well. He really takes pride in his work. With all of the talk of piping of mod/cons, I am glad I went with the Hydrolink and multiple boilers. The TN4 will bring on the 1st Knight boiler at 20% firing rate and enjoys nice long run times.

Regards,

Paul

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Stirling Boston
    Stirling Boston Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Nice Work!

Paul,

Once again you have exceeded my expectations with really nice work. The diamond plate is a nice touch. You really know how to put together an impressive installation.

Stirling

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    Options
    Stunning!

The overall workmanship is simply amazing. You must be very proud. Will they have tours peeking in there so that they get to show it off? All mechanical rooms should be works of art.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    As good as it gets!

Nicely done. Two thumbs up to the entire team.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    what a Beauty *~/:)

I Knew i should have bought stock in Lochinvar :) the Mupro ,Caleffi,pro press and the added presence of the TN4 make that world class :)

the control TN4 subrogates the boiler control through hydronic intervention ...:)
    cool .
  • Kevin O. Pulver
    Kevin O. Pulver Member Posts: 380
    Options
    That's gorgeous Paul!

Nice work with the tee-puller!
    I want a tour of that one sometime... (please)
    There's just one thing. What's "Uponor"? It sounds vaguely familiar... did I see that name in the trade magazines or somewhere? ;-) Kevin
  • Brad White_151
    Brad White_151 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Be-Youtiful

Excellent work, Paul- my best regards to the crew.

Was this that job we wrote back and forth about last spring?
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Brad

This is the job we were talking about. It's no secret that Matt J has taught me more about contracting than I care to mention. In a 10-minute conversation, I glean 20 minutes of information. Matt did tee pull and braze up the header.

I draw it up with the crayons and Visio, and Matt installs. Here is the Visio on it. Even though it looks like there is a lot of room, the mechanical room is getting smaller by the day. All of the air-handling equipment is above the panel suspended by strut. After the 120-gallon indirect, water softener, RO system, and piping are completed, it will be an awful lot smaller.

I really do like the TN4 equipment, but it takes a lot of time to plan.

Regards,

PR

• That is one gorgeous install. I'll be showing others those pictures.

You've become a pro at Visio, I see. One of the keys to a great install is a great plan. You are using Visio to its ultimate.

I'm in awe.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Wow...

If the homeowners in that place are not impressed with how much boiler, distribution, etc. you managed to squeeze so neatly into so little space, then I don't know what will. This is the kind of boiler room that ought to be on tours for homeowners to appreciate a fantastic install.

Hopefully, the coming AC equipment and the other trades won't impact your beautiful work here.
  • Paul Rohrs_5
    Paul Rohrs_5 Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Insulation

Just wanted to post some final pictures with insulation. We went a little bit over the top with insulation, but I think it finished well.

Regards,

PR
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options

Absolutely beautiful.

• Kevin O. Pulver
    Kevin O. Pulver Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Good Grief Paul

I thought that insulation was CHROME at first!
    It was just the glare off the diamond plate reflecting off the shiny black surface. (I'm not kidding)
    Do you mind sending me some pictures of that install so I can use it in my homeshow booth? (Now I AM kidding)
    I'm proud to say I knew him when he was on the other side of the counter. Kevin
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Paul

I thought we did reallynice work ... untill I saw this.

You have just raised the bar about ten feet. Just tremendous work.

Who did the insulation ? Where do you get it ?

Hangers are ? Mupro ??

Just Awesome Work .

Scott

• Paul Rohrs_4
    Options
    Scott

You guys DO great work!

Hangers are Mupro. A local insulator ordered this stuff in for me. It's a high-end home and this homeowner does a lot of entertaining to clients that might get some play.

Regards,

PR
  • Don Robertson
    Don Robertson Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Incredible

I am blown away by the design and installation. As a wholesale distributor, I haven't seen as many jobs as a lot of you but I can easily say this is the best I have ever seen. Truly a work of art! Thank you for sharing.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    You may not belive what i am about to say....

so, steady yourself... just went to a Lochinvar class... put together by Keller Supply on the very boilers you have posted. :) the really cool thing is this, on the 2007 cover sheet ,into the Knight portion of the book...Ta Da..! Our very own Paul Rohrs jpeg *~/:)

now How Good is that :)

BANG!

There it IS :)
  • Stirling Boston
    Stirling Boston Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Residential Knight Install - Dual Boilers (job pics)

We were so proud of Paul's work, we decided to include it in our literature.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Paul Rohrs_4
    Options
    Stirling

Thank you for the accolades. We are equally proud to be associated with the Knight boiler and the fine folks at Lochinvar.

Regards,

PR
This discussion has been closed.