Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham MegaSteam

Options
Apparently the Burnham site is down tonight for some upgrading. Try again in the morning as it should be up and running by then. I'd post a copy of the Sell Sheet but I can't get to it with the server down for work.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

Comments

• Will_5
    Will_5 Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Install

Has anyone installed any of the new Burnham steam boilers yet? I have a install coming up that I am considering one. I am interested to hear some opinions and numbers.

Ben
  • RE: Megasteam

Ben,

The Megasteam boilers just began shipping the week before last and there are a few that have been installed already. They were held up about a week and a half while minor modifications were made to a piece of equipment that is used on the production line. One in particular was an MST-629 (biggest one) and the installation was absolutely flawless. Right out of the box the boiler fired up with a zero smoke, 12%+ CO2, 386°F gross stack (with baffles installed) and purred like a kitten. The burner will be properly setup next week to dial in the CO2 level to the normal 11-1/2% level we would be looking for with the AFG burner. That one was in western Mass. and I am awaiting photographs of the installation along with the final test data after the fine adjustments were made.

I might add that the boiler began making steam from fresh 40°F+ water temperature in about 8-10 minutes. The water line was the most stable that our representative for that area has ever seen. Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics
  • Cunner_2
    Cunner_2 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Impressive

That's a impressive stack temp number. Do you know if that was taken while steaming or on the start up. If that's the gross stack temp while steaming, I'm sold!!

Does it come with a tankless?

Ben
  • Cunner_2
    Options
    Specs

Thanks Kevin,
    I should have started there in the first place, I also see it has provisions for adding an idirect, even better yet, I can talk them out of the tankless!!

This sounds to good to be true, most oil steamer I've installed have always had gross stack temps of around 500+. Now I have to quote one!!

Ben
  • Ben

The stack temperature was indeed while making steam. For the time being, all Megasteam boilers will be shipped with provision for a tankless heater. If ordered less tankless heater, it will be equipped with a cover plate and gasket. In the very near future we will be making them available with no tankless opening. As stated, all Megasteam boilers have provisions for piping an Indirect as well as for an immersion aquastat for same.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics
  • Mistake in Gross Temperature

I received an e-mail this afternoon from our western Massachusetts representative to inform me that I had incorrectly stated the Gross Stack Temperature for the MST-629 Megasteam boiler that was installed out there this past week. I posted the Gross Stack as being 386°F when in fact it was actually 368°F while making steam. A "Senior Moment" kicking in again I guess but impressive none the less! As with any appliance you can expect to always see varying combustion variables due to chimney conditions, available air for combustion and other factors. This job had a pretty good sized center chimney and other factors that probably attributed to the values at startup.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the info Glenn , I'm certainly looking forward to giving one a try.

Ben
  • Pictures as Promised!

As I promised to do, here are some jobsite photos of one of the first Megasteam boiler installations here in New England. This one is in Western Massachusetts and was installed last week replacing a very old Burnham Jubilee boiler. A 120 gallon Indirect has been added using the designated tappings provided along with a small zone of hot water heat by means of the tankless heater. A float style 67 LWCO was added as the operating LWCO and the existing probe is going to be replaced with a manual reset type along with a Manual Reset High Limit. This is in an apartment house and will require the CSD-1 controls. The secondary LWCO will probably be moved to a properly placed tee in the equalizer.

For those of you with real good eyes, you may notice some copper steam lines up overhead. They were put there some time ago by another installer. The company that put the Megasteam in has replaced the bulk of those copper lines with iron pipe. This one happens to be the biggest of the MST series or the MST-629.I will have the final results of combustion testing for this one later on this week along with more pictures of another MST being installed as we speak. As I already indicated this one fired off without a hitch with a Zero Smoke and 368°F stack temperature (with baffles while making steam) right out of the box.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Good to see that at least one company is willing to invest the time and $$$ to produce a new, quality steam boiler with promise of high (for the heating medium) efficiency.

By the appearance and specs, they should be firing away for a nice long time...

Here's hoping that they're are installed so cleanly and nicely (well--maybe without the copper supplies...)
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    Nice

That's a pretty slick looking install and with some pretty impressive numbers, can't wait to find a home for one. I guess we need a little cold weather for that!!
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Header question

Glenn, it looks like the horizontal portion of the header is the same size as the risers. From looking at the MST I&O manual, I see the tappings in the boiler block are 2-inch, but the MST629 needs a 3-inch header (it says the other MST models can get away with 2-inch, though I'd make them bigger on my installs). That header looks like 2-inch to me...what say ye?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Good Eyes Steamhead

I was waiting for someone to spot that. Although the header size was not increased to 3" it is none the less performing beautifully with 2". Most of this may be due to the very short distances that the combined risers are encountering. This was discussed at the jobsite but due to the great performance it may not be an issue. If the combined header had longer laterals it probably would have been an issue.

Glenn Stanton
    Manager of Training
    Burnham Hydronics
    U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Hmmmmmm

as well as it works now, I bet it would work even better with a 3-inch header. Nothing like letting the steam expand in the header before entering the mains.....

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • mel rowe
    mel rowe Member Posts: 324
    Options

I was curious about the boiler capacity and the velocity of steam leaving the boiler. Tried to find the model on the Burnham site but was unsuccessful. Thanks.
  • Cunner_2
    Options
    Available

Glenn,
    Does this come knockdown, packaged or both? I know the MPO only comes packaged.
  • John

The Megasteam boilers are all shipped knocked down with sections assembled. They will come crated and enclosed within a cardboard and wood crate, but inside will be the boiler block, jacket box, burner box and trim and controls box. Everything will be inside that crate with no concern over things not being there or getting misplaced somewhere along the way.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Mel

Sorry for the delay but the Burnham website is back up and running. The link to any and all MegaSteam literature is right on the opening page. Just click on the MegaSteam picture or you can use the link below to go directly to the MegaSteam page.

http://www.burnham.com/megasteam/index.htm

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Final Combustion Data

Our Tech Representative visited this job today with a Test 325M and here are the final combustion numbers with the boiler steaming away.

Stack Temp - 351 Degrees

O2 - 5.3%

CO2- 11.8

Excess Air - 30.9%

Combustion Eff. 87.3%

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Na Glenn

It's not a senior moment, it's just a minor dyslexic moment. Happens to me all the time and comes from having to many flippin' numbers flying through your head in a day's time. :)

368* gross whilst steaming is excellent. You guys are on to something the way it sounds. Nice work!
This discussion has been closed.