Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper Lock

product. I think it is good for a temp repair on a saturday night but I wouldn't use it for anything else. The fitting and pipe have to fit perfectly, with no stress or you end up having to undo, replace fitting and try again. Cleaning with acetone would be time consuming

I was using it within the scope of it's specs in an air line. It blew twice in two different places, both at straight couplings that were fitted properly and at 45psi.

As a test, I glued two, 6 inch pieces to a coupling and let cure over night. With a 12 inch pipe wrench I estimated it took 10ft pounds of torque to break the bond. The specs were something higher. I called the mfr. The engineer insisted I was doing something wrong.

Comments

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    No Heat Solder for Copper

While at the ABCO Trade show this past week, my students dragged me over to a booth where this prodcut was being demonstrated.

It's advertised as a "no heat solder".

The demonstration was impressive as a section of copper pipe was secured to a fitting. About 2 minutes are required for the joint to set up.

I am going to be playing with this in the lab at the college for a while and will report back to you...

If any of you have experience with this product and would care to share, please feel free.

http://www.comstarproducts.com/uploads/files/file_632816655422343750.pdf
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Hi Gene

Just as a test can you giggle the joints just a little as if you were working on another part of the system? My only concern is time. And, if there is a leak, what steps must be performed to re do the joint? Just curious.

Mike T.
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Copper Lock

We only use it for doing relief valve discharge piping. Saves time.

I've tested it in the shop, and it has not failed on domestic water lines at 125psi, or air lines at 180 psi.

It is not a solder, but an anaerobic sealant.

I will not use it in mission critical joints.

Plus, it is very expensive.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Al Corelli, NY

914-804-2234
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Thanks Al

Any other comments about this product?
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    I Had Posted

I had posted this a while back and am still looking for any other comments or insight from the trenches regarding this product. I am getting ready to work on the piping chapter of a new text book and am still contemplating whether or not to include reference to this product.

SO, if you have any experience with it, please feel free to post your comments here or by sending me an e-mail.

:)
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

We have a training center here at the office. I had a rep come down and show us this product, looked interesting, so I though I'd give it a try.

I connected a Toyotomi boiler to a simple loop feeding a hot water coil in an air handler. Here are some problems I ran into:

1. There is always one fitting where you can't spin it after applying the liquid. So you end up using to much to compensate.

2. No matter how careful you are you still need to push on a pie to make a connection. When you do you here a "tink" down the line somewhere. That's a joint that just broke loose. You'll find it when you pressurize the loop.

3. On this simple loop I must have ended up with a dozen leaks. To fix them you have to heat the joint, pull it apart, clean it up and redo it. All the time trying not to move the piping or you hear the "tink" again.

I think the only good and safe application for this product is for joints that don't need to be pressurized and will not normally hold water. The drip tube from a back flow preventer or relief valve is probably OK. Our techs weren't happy with the idea of "no torch needed" to begin with. Now we are all staying away from this product. Not worth the trouble.
This discussion has been closed.