Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

air in oil lines

ed wallace
ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
are the oil burners set up with suppl and return lines check the supply lines vacumm leaks

Comments

• paul_96
    paul_96 Member Posts: 3
    air in oil lines

working on a building chiller today and saw the building engineer who is always hawing problems with his oil bueners. the oil lines are always getting air bound. once he bleeds out the air the burners will work for a few days but sometimes only a few hours.there are 7 boilers lined up with 2 oil pumps next to them. 2000 gal tank in the next room. this problem has been ongoing for years. where can i advise the engineer to do?
  • Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
    Real issues vs engineers

With the festive season, good cheer and a smile on my face.
    Tell the engineer to step aside and allow a technician to repair the problem. Smile its the holidays
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

it was probably designed by an engineer--and had a problem from the first time it was running ---how about a picture of the piping ,,specs on all the pumps ---its very easy to pipe correctly--but also very easy to pie it wrong
  • paul_96
    pictures of pumps

2 suntec model H, two stage pumps. Here are the pictures. Many technicians have checked the problem, but the problem is still existing.
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    air in oil lines

is that an air vent above the H pump on the left? if so remove it also the valve above theH pump on the right looks like it has oil on it best thing to do is take apart all the piping and redope them easiest way to find an oil leak is to wipe down all fittings with odergon powder and see if the fittings get oily again
  • oil-2-4-6-gas

i would remove the piping to the burners pipe it differently --make a header and feed your pumps from the bottom of the header --any will be on top --leave it as an open loop (loosen the pressure regulator) all the way --i have an 8 boiler hydrotherm set-up exactly like that and never had a problem
  • oil-2-4-6-gas

could also be an issue of thermal expansion since its 1 pipe with the Webster O.S.V. valves when you have a valve on 1 pipe oil systems the heat will cause pressure to rise in the oil line between the valve and the pump -sometimes it will push through the oil seals -
  • paul_96
    valve

not sure what the valve is above the left pump.might be some kind of pressure regulator. that is the bypass line between pump discharge and tank return line. both of the pumps run all the time. should they?
  • oil-2-4-6-gas

thats a pressure regulator --those pumps should be replaced with 1 (or 2 -1 as a spare )that can handle the total gph of the pumps at the burners running at the same time -- you shouldn't run 1 pipe with any check valves,or shutoff valves that will cause thermal expansion --but you shouldn't have constant pressure to the burners without an oil valve -(which you do have on the burners) this pressure should not be more than 3 psi to the pumps --i would remove the o.s.v. valve on the burners with air problems--(providing the loops pressure is below 3 psi )and see what happens --if no improvement i would --re-pipe it all with new pump/pumps sized correct--and pull your oil from the bottom of the piping (piping must be sized to handle the flow/pressure you need --at 3 psi or less -
This discussion has been closed.