Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Upgrade from Heat Timer EPU ?

them.

Are they considered better in terms of quality of product? Better control? Better efficiency of systems controlled by them?

Michael

Comments

• Michael Stoic_2
    Michael Stoic_2 Member Posts: 8
    Upgrade from Heat Timer EPU ?

We have a 9-unit brick bld., built around 1904/5

One steam boiler is controlled with a Heat Timer EPU (this one has the cycle timer clock in the lower right) and it's going bad. Cycles don't start because the timer motor hangs up at the beginning of the cycle; outdoor sensor calls for heat, but the cycle does not kick in until the motor 'flywheeel" is manually turned past it's "end" position, from the previous cycle.

Anyway, is it better to repair/rebuild the old EPU or get a rebuilt/new EPU-CH-60, or get the MPC series (gold or platinum)?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Mike

Have you looked into Tekmar or paragon timers? I would use Tekmar.

Mike T.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Tekmar

One of the leaders in the control industry. If you want to control it they can give you the means to do so....:-)

Mike T.
  • Michael Stoic_2
    I'll ask for quotes

on this product when I meet with the contractors. Thanks again!

Michael
  • Michael Stoic_2

• mike jones
    mike jones Member Posts: 32
    HEAT TIMER model EPC for steam boiler operation in NYC

are you also in new york? the rent laws might even require this type of controller for day/nite settings, etc...

we had the same problem and seem to have SOLVED IT. i am a HO, so please don't rely on this but we have studied and studied this site and its brilliant contributors.

search the site for last year or 2. someone answered our post and we started fixing our electical mess to the boiler by isolating wires and creating proper home runs direct to boiler systems all separate.

never finished, but problem gone with epu. also, someone in ny sells used ones cheap.

if you cant find these things we will try to search our notes for you, but it wont be easy from last year or two.

we are on to much worse problems, boiler leaking and low pressure. good luck and be cautious that this might only be part of your problems. i guess only good luck and diligence will serve us all.
This discussion has been closed.