Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One Pipe Steam System Control

Options
Scott31
Scott31 Member Posts: 1
The building I live in (15 units) has a one pipe steam system. It is controlled by a teckmar 269 and fires about every 50 min. for around 20 min. My question is how often should it fire and for how long? It seems to be firing more than needed and many of the units are much warmer than needed. Any help would be appreciated. We have two temperature sensers in the building and I would think that they should control when the boiler fires, but it doesn't seem like that is what is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• soot_seeker_2
    soot_seeker_2 Member Posts: 228
    Options
    That's how they work...

The length of the cycle is set. Fifty minutes is about right for a steam cycle. Then the outside temperature controls the "on" time in each cycle. In an ideal system, the boiler would run continuously at design temperature, which is usally zero or ten degrees.

At 35 degrees, the boiler should run about half the time, or thirty minutes.

All this is adjustable by the landlord, who should choose the proper settings for the construction and heat loss of the building.

Overheating of some apartments while others remain cold is a distribution issue. The steam system should be looked over by an expert who can properly balance it so all radiators heat at about the same time. Overheating of all apartments under certain conditions may be a matter of changing control settings. The Tekmar is a great unit.

Long Beach Ed
  • Bob W._3
    Bob W._3 Member Posts: 561
    Options

Overheating could be addressed by installing TRV's on those radiators.
  • ChrisL
    ChrisL Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Tekmar steam

The tekmar uses outdoor temps to determine burner on time. However, if you install a room sensor, it will shut the boiler down if room temp gets over the setting you select. Consider having the system balanced, and then installing a room sensor in a unit that tends to be cool and you should be in pretty good shape.

ChrisL
This discussion has been closed.