Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

buzing zone valve

Options
Jim_47
Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
> As a technician in a western state, I installed <BR>
> three zone valves to an already existing system. <BR>
> Now the homeowner called and sez she hearing a <BR>
> buzzing noise at second level radiator. I <BR>
> confirmed, it was the zone valve in basement <BR>
> buzzing and noise was being transferred upwards. <BR>
> This particular loop has two zone valves and is <BR>
> being controlled by one thermostat which is a <BR>
> wireless via a honeywell RF Zone controller. <BR>
> Voltage checks out at 26.7 vac, but amp draw <BR>
> varied from .83 to .15 on a relay I added to <BR>
> bring boiler (buderus) on through its logic. The <BR>
> other zone has two valves and is being controlled <BR>
> by one stat and it creates no problem. Since it <BR>
> is a remote wirleless stat, there is no <BR>
> anticipator setting or cycle timer. I know <BR>
> she'll be calling me back. I have two separate <BR>
> 40VA transformers in circuit (1 for RF zone and <BR>
> other for other stat). Any thoughts? <BR>
<BR>

Comments

• Nick W
    Nick W Member Posts: 200
    Options
    buzzing zone valve

As a technician in a western state, I installed three zone valves to an already existing system. Now the homeowner called and sez she hearing a buzzing noise at second level radiator. I confirmed, it was the zone valve in basement buzzing and noise was being transferred upwards. This particular loop has two zone valves and is being controlled by one thermostat which is a wireless via a honeywell RF Zone controller. Voltage checks out at 26.7 vac, but amp draw varied from .83 to .15 on a relay I added to bring boiler (buderus) on through its logic. The other zone has two valves and is being controlled by one stat and it creates no problem. Since it is a remote wirleless stat, there is no anticipator setting or cycle timer. I know she'll be calling me back. I have two separate 40VA transformers in circuit (1 for RF zone and other for other stat). Any thoughts?
  • Paul Fredricks_2
    Paul Fredricks_2 Member Posts: 35
    Options

I assume the buzzing noise was in the body of the zone valve and not electrical. What kind and size valves are you using? If you manually kick on the circulator and manually open the valves do they make the same noise? Is it only one of the two valves on that zone that makes the noise?
  • Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    buzz

My dad use to ask," Do you know why its buzzing/humming?"
    Then after giving someone ample time to reply he would answer his own question,"Because it doesn't know the words."
    Actually, it sounds like you have a DC coil relay being picked by an AC power source. Check your relay. For std zone valve tranformers the relay should be 24v or 28v AC.
    Keep us posted.
  • Nick W
    Nick W Member Posts: 200
    Options

Thanks guys for the immediate response. I found today after I removed the valve acuator and cycled zone, it wasn't electrical afterall. It was the valve body itself buzzing. Now I just have to find the time to go and replace it all, as this is a newer honeywell 5043E5079. No easy way to do it anymore by removing two screws, oh no---you have to unsweat or cut more pipe to replace. Again thanks. I am first time user and appreciate the feedback.
This discussion has been closed.