Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Constantin, HELP!!!

Options
Constantin
Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
... in a variety of manners. Where in the spreadsheet ought I to look?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Spread sheet assistance please.

I'm having trouble writing a formula that will convert a word to a value. Can you lend me your brain please.

This data is from my data logger, logging the cycles of gas consumption. Each pulse is one cubic foot of gas with a caloric value of 830 btus/cubic foot.

Somehow, I also need to show the differential time span between pulses.

Got any ideas? Can it be done? I figure if anyone here knows, you would.

Thanks in advance.

ME
  • Mike G_2
    Mike G_2 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Does this fix work?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The sheet marked EATHERTON boiler run data

Column A is time/date stamp of occurence. The STATE recorder gives the time of the change of state. If I could have a third column that converts the 1 CU ft value in column C to 830, then I'd be able to tally the hourly btu's going into the appliance on an hourly basis, or even by the minute.

I was never any good at adding letters and numbers together...:-(

Thanks!

ME
  • Constantin
    Options
    No worries...

... now that I can see what you want to do. Let me work on this in a couple of hours when I have more time. There is an elegant way to determine the numbers and a less elegant one. Let me try to do the elegant one first.

The enclosed excel spreadsheet has the 830 BTU/counter fix, the elapsed time and BTUs/minute update will follow.
  • Bob C
    Bob C Member Posts: 38
    Options
    How's this.

I wrote a quick function to extract the number out of the cell and multiply by 830.

if the value of the cell is "nul", it puts a 0. If the value of the cell is not "nul", it grabs the numeric part of the cell (Takes everything to the left of the space) and multiplies by 830. This way, if the value is more than 1 cubic foot, it will do the calculation for you.
  • gasfolk
    gasfolk Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Mark,

What kind of datalogger are you using? Gas flow too? Affordable by mere mortals? Any advice?

Thanks,

gf
  • Constantin
    Options
    Onwards and upwards

> ... now that I can see what you want to do. Let

> me work on this in a couple of hours when I have

> more time. There is an elegant way to determine

> the numbers and a less elegant one. Let me try to

> do the elegant one first.

>

> The enclosed excel

> spreadsheet has the 830 BTU/counter fix, the

> elapsed time and BTUs/minute update will follow.

• Constantin
    Options
    Onwards and upwards...

... not the most elegant solution, but it will have to do. Let me explain what you'll see when you open the thing. First, I convert the time of day (TOD) into seconds. Then I calc out the deltas between readings and accumulate the seconds between readings.

Lastly, I reinstate the TOD in it's original form and calc out the average BTU/s for every time period. I hope this is what you were looking for. Cheers!

I dunno why the invision system renames everything, but the file was supposed to be called "ME's fun".
  • Maine Doug_25
    Maine Doug_25 Member Posts: 3
    Options
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 422
    Options
    Just to make it more complicated,

but much less dependent on absolute values,

=IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(LEFT(B11,FIND(" ",B11)-1))),LEFT(B11,FIND(" ",B11)-1)*830,0)

This way if State is anything that doesn't start with a number followed by a space (not just "nul") it will return 0.

Just a sneaky way to say "Hi!" to Constantin....

Alex
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    PERFECTO!

Constanin, you just saved me a BUTT LOAD of keyboard time, manually entering the caloric content.

You also opend a gateway allowing me to do additional manipulation of the data to see 'What if".

Send me your physical address and I will forward some of Dans favorite wheat and barley based adult beverages when I get back from my vacation.

Thanks a million pal.

ME
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GF

I have an American AL250 gas meter with a points pulse contact for each cubic foot of gas passed through. We purchased them from a local company called Empire Gas on 46th and Wadsworth here in Denver. If memory serves me correctly, it was around $150.00 a few years back. Worth the money at twice the price. That, backed up with the HOBO STATE recorder from Onset Computers will give you a minute by minute report of gas consumption.

Tie that in with the HOBO 4 channel temperature recorder and you have the ultimate on site real time energy recording system.

Attached are links to articles I wrote explaining this very process.

Enjoy!

ME

http://www.contractormag.com/articles/column.cfm?columnid=417

http://www.contractormag.com/articles/column.cfm?columnid=421

http://www.contractormag.com/articles/column.cfm?columnid=436
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    Don't you mean

Gas Equipment Co.? A real good source for lot's of hard to get stuff.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I stand (sit)

corrected. You are correct sir. See what happens when you get old and can't find your PDA...

Thanks Dog.

ME
  • adayton_2
    adayton_2 Member Posts: 130
    Options
    missing part 2

The articles above are part 1,3,4... where can we get part1? Great stuff Mark

Alfred
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Click on...

the attachment at the bottom of the post with the URL's for the other articles. I noticed that Penton had missed it so I attached it to the post.

Glad you like it. Now, go use your new knowledge to impress customers, save enrgy from oversizing and make money!

ME
This discussion has been closed.